Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for fabric to add to vintage blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-fabric-add-vintage-blocks-t290209.html)

Faintly Artistic 08-05-2017 06:55 PM

Suggestions for fabric to add to vintage blocks

1 Attachment(s)
I picked this stack of blocks up from an antique store in Hannibal, MO recently. There are about 20 "flowers" already pieced, but only 1 of the coral colored one (plus a few more loose hexies). I am considering using the coral with a small coral print and making 2 more flowers to make a table runner. There are 2 different turquoise/teal colors. If I can find a couple of small prints to combine with those, they could make a small lap quilt/throw. I've looked at a bunch of 30's repro prints, but they are all either too pink/red for the coral or too blue for the turquoise/teal. Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm mainly thinking the scale/type of prints from the 30's as I think they would look good, just can't find the colors I want. The fabric is a little coarser weave and has a linen weave texture to it. Feedsack?
Local LQS didn't have anything. I've been searching EBay and Etsy and can take my time as I want to find the "right" fabrics.

I included the cardboard the original maker was using to make her templates as it is kind of cute. She also used postcards for templates and they are dated 1960-61, which is probably when she was making these.

Thanks all!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]578103[/ATTACH]

QuiltnNan 08-06-2017 03:48 AM

what a treasure. hope you find the right fabrics

Jordan 08-06-2017 07:36 AM

What a wonderful find and glad you are patient in looking for the right fabric to match. Good luck and please share as you progress.

SusieQOH 08-06-2017 07:38 AM

Other than incorporating another solid I'm stumped. Really sweet blocks.

Faintly Artistic 08-06-2017 10:59 AM

I'm hoping to find some small prints that coordinate. I will keep looking, something usually turns up.

Jingle 08-06-2017 05:01 PM

Very lucky to get these. Good luck finding the right prints to go with these.

trolleystation 08-07-2017 07:03 AM

How about a small checked material? I used a small check on my Sunbonnet Sue wall hanging....and It worked well.

SuziSew 08-07-2017 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic (Post 7880979)
I'm hoping to find some small prints that coordinate. I will keep looking, something usually turns up.

I like the idea of a small print, that way even if the colors aren't exact it won't be noticeable. If you can't find a 30's print maybe a calico would work too. Look forward to seeing what you decide on! :)

madamekelly 08-07-2017 12:00 PM

O

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic (Post 7880553)
I picked this stack of blocks up from an antique store in Hannibal, MO recently. There are about 20 "flowers" already pieced, but only 1 of the coral colored one (plus a few more loose hexies). I am considering using the coral with a small coral print and making 2 more flowers to make a table runner. There are 2 different turquoise/teal colors. If I can find a couple of small prints to combine with those, they could make a small lap quilt/throw. I've looked at a bunch of 30's repro prints, but they are all either too pink/red for the coral or too blue for the turquoise/teal. Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm mainly thinking the scale/type of prints from the 30's as I think they would look good, just can't find the colors I want. The fabric is a little coarser weave and has a linen weave texture to it. Feedsack?
Local LQS didn't have anything. I've been searching EBay and Etsy and can take my time as I want to find the "right" fabrics.

I included the cardboard the original maker was using to make her templates as it is kind of cute. She also used postcards for templates and they are dated 1960-61, which is probably when she was making these.

Thanks all!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]578103[/ATTACH]

Just my thought from looking at your GFG pieces, try looking for a "slate blue" or a "country blue"and a "salmon" color might get you closer to your colors pictured?