Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Suggestions for fabric to add to vintage blocks >
  • Suggestions for fabric to add to vintage blocks

• Suggestions for fabric to add to vintage blocks

Old 08-05-2017, 06:55 PM

Default Suggestions for fabric to add to vintage blocks

I picked this stack of blocks up from an antique store in Hannibal, MO recently. There are about 20 "flowers" already pieced, but only 1 of the coral colored one (plus a few more loose hexies). I am considering using the coral with a small coral print and making 2 more flowers to make a table runner. There are 2 different turquoise/teal colors. If I can find a couple of small prints to combine with those, they could make a small lap quilt/throw. I've looked at a bunch of 30's repro prints, but they are all either too pink/red for the coral or too blue for the turquoise/teal. Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm mainly thinking the scale/type of prints from the 30's as I think they would look good, just can't find the colors I want. The fabric is a little coarser weave and has a linen weave texture to it. Feedsack?
    Local LQS didn't have anything. I've been searching EBay and Etsy and can take my time as I want to find the "right" fabrics.

I included the cardboard the original maker was using to make her templates as it is kind of cute. She also used postcards for templates and they are dated 1960-61, which is probably when she was making these.

Thanks all!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]578103[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails vintage-hexies.jpg  

Last edited by Faintly Artistic; 08-05-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added info
    Old 08-06-2017, 03:48 AM
    Power Poster

what a treasure. hope you find the right fabrics
    Old 08-06-2017, 07:36 AM

What a wonderful find and glad you are patient in looking for the right fabric to match. Good luck and please share as you progress.
    Old 08-06-2017, 07:38 AM
    Power Poster

Other than incorporating another solid I'm stumped. Really sweet blocks.
    Old 08-06-2017, 10:59 AM

I'm hoping to find some small prints that coordinate. I will keep looking, something usually turns up.
    Old 08-06-2017, 05:01 PM
    Power Poster

Very lucky to get these. Good luck finding the right prints to go with these.
    Old 08-07-2017, 07:03 AM

How about a small checked material? I used a small check on my Sunbonnet Sue wall hanging....and It worked well.
    Old 08-07-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic
    I'm hoping to find some small prints that coordinate. I will keep looking, something usually turns up.
    I like the idea of a small print, that way even if the colors aren't exact it won't be noticeable. If you can't find a 30's print maybe a calico would work too. Look forward to seeing what you decide on!
    Old 08-07-2017, 12:00 PM

O
    Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic
    I picked this stack of blocks up from an antique store in Hannibal, MO recently. There are about 20 "flowers" already pieced, but only 1 of the coral colored one (plus a few more loose hexies). I am considering using the coral with a small coral print and making 2 more flowers to make a table runner. There are 2 different turquoise/teal colors. If I can find a couple of small prints to combine with those, they could make a small lap quilt/throw. I've looked at a bunch of 30's repro prints, but they are all either too pink/red for the coral or too blue for the turquoise/teal. Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm mainly thinking the scale/type of prints from the 30's as I think they would look good, just can't find the colors I want. The fabric is a little coarser weave and has a linen weave texture to it. Feedsack?
    Local LQS didn't have anything. I've been searching EBay and Etsy and can take my time as I want to find the "right" fabrics.

I included the cardboard the original maker was using to make her templates as it is kind of cute. She also used postcards for templates and they are dated 1960-61, which is probably when she was making these.

Thanks all!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]578103[/ATTACH]
    Just my thought from looking at your GFG pieces, try looking for a "slate blue" or a "country blue"and a "salmon" color might get you closer to your colors pictured?