Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   suggestions for pattern to make simple quilt from men's shirts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-pattern-make-simple-quilt-mens-shirts-t120674.html)

Mariposa 05-05-2011 07:03 AM

Do look at www.quiltville.com. Bonnie has lots of scrappy type patterns. :)

Kappy 05-05-2011 07:58 AM

How about an Ohio Star with the center and points using the shirt fabric?

jaciqltznok 05-05-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea
A 9 patch would be quick and easy we hope your bother get well soon. will be parying for you al

ooohhh...how about the snowball and 9 patch....great pattern for using up "bits" of fabrics!

cannyquilter 05-05-2011 09:14 AM

Not sure what the snowball looks like but it sounds difficult. I am going to decide tomorrow because I want to start/finish it this weekend. My brother has terminal lung cancer 9never smoked a day in his life!). He was very ill three weeks ago and we thought we were going to lose him but he was transferred to a wonderful hospital in Newcastle and they have treated him. We expect him to come home this weekend but are not sure what the future holds. I believe in miracles and everyday he is still with us is a miracle to me. Thanks so much to everyone for all the suggestions and also for prayers. Will post when I decide and hopefully will be able to show you all the finished product on Monday. Eileen

janell2009 05-05-2011 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is disappearing 9 patch I did with mens shirts. I think I did 3 of each color and cut them 5 1/2 sewed them in rows and then cut it in half and turned it and sewed together again.

AngieS 05-05-2011 09:39 AM

WOW! Just lots of nice ideas. Makes me wish I could make them all myself. :)

cannyquilter 05-05-2011 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by janell2009
This is disappearing 9 patch I did with mens shirts. I think I did 3 of each color and cut them 5 1/2 sewed them in rows and then cut it in half and turned it and sewed together again.

You will think I am totally stupid but cant quite work out how you did that. Did you sew together 9 5 1/2" squares? Then sew them into a 3 x 3 block? What did you do then? Thanks Eileen

Deborahlees 05-05-2011 09:43 AM

I did a simple 9 patch out of my deceased husbands shirts for my grandson as a memory quilt.

dforesee 05-05-2011 09:49 AM

I can't remember the pattern name though it is common, butI jusst recently used men's shirts to cut 6" squares, cut them in half diagonally, and then sewed back together a dark and a light piece. Sewed all squares together turned in the same direction. Saw one like this in Pottery Barn magazine. It was simple but definitely had the pieced quilt look; turned out great. My friend called it boats after the sailboats pattern.

Just saw the pattern on MaryStoaks avatar pic.

janell2009 05-05-2011 09:54 AM

sew 9 "5 1/2" squares together...
Then take that 9 patch square and cut it down the middle +
vertical and horizontal.
then you turn each of the now 4 blocks. sew them back together.. and
the 9 patch disappears.. ehhehhehehe
fun to play with how you can put the 4 pieces together and get a different look.

(I just used the size of 5 1/2 because that is the size of square ruler I owned and it fit on the shirt fronts the best of what I had) It makes a large block so it will go fast, I think the block ends out about 15 3/4 inches square)