Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-please-t196811.html)

burchquilts 08-06-2012 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by cindle (Post 5420741)
The book actually suggests using muslin. I was asking the lady at the fabric store today about it and she said to make sure to pre wash as it does tend to shrink more so then cotten. Have any of you worked with muslin before? What do you all think of maybe a light grey colour instead of the white or do you think that would look too drab? All your suggestions are great so far thank you for taking the time to answer :)

I made a scrappy 30's Irish Chain a couple of years ago & I used some really wonderful muslin that I got from Nancy's Notions. It was called something like Vintage Muslin or some name similar to that. It was white (not natural) but not quite pure white. It really looked nice with my scraps & I wish I'd bought a bunch more of it! I have used muslin (in fact, I back almost all my quilts with muslin because I like the way it feels after it's washed) & I personally love it. But I would suggest that you buy good muslin... not the 99 cent a yard stuff. I usually use Moda & I love it. I know some of the gals here on the board like Kona but I find it rather stiff. Yes, it does shrink (& wrinkle) but once you get used to that, it's fine.

I can't wait to see your quilt when you make it. I love reproduction fabrics! Good luck!

ghquilter53 08-07-2012 03:00 AM

I am doing a 30's quilt right now and also didn't want the white background. I am using a wonderful light yellow and just love it. Good luck.

Sewlmatesister 08-07-2012 03:14 AM

Whenever I wanta non white (but white) I use Kona Cotton SNOW...it is the berst for a cross between white and cream. Gorgeous!

Latrinka 08-07-2012 05:32 AM

i'd say pale green or yellow.

Wintersewer 08-07-2012 06:24 AM

I think jade was commonly used in 30s and 40s quilts. If you prefer a natural color you might try "Super muslin" which I buy at Walmart. I bought a bolt of it but the clerk ripped off the tag. It's made by a well known muslin company, but I can't recall the name of it......dang old age...... It looks like muslin but is much heavier.

matraina 08-07-2012 07:33 AM

If they were brighter colors, I would definitely say black. They're so striking. I think, for these colors, muslin would be a good choice.

bearisgray 08-07-2012 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer (Post 5423840)
I think jade was commonly used in 30s and 40s quilts. If you prefer a natural color you might try "Super muslin" which I buy at Walmart. I bought a bolt of it but the clerk ripped off the tag. It's made by a well known muslin company, but I can't recall the name of it......dang old age...... It looks like muslin but is much heavier.

Roc-Lon ???

riutzelj 08-07-2012 07:41 AM

i think i'd go for a nice unbleached muslin. a grey with a tint of a blue would look nice as well. just remember to keep it light value so you don't wash out those other medium values

wishfulthinking 08-07-2012 07:46 AM

I'd stick with white, or pale yellow. I have that book and love it.

barny 08-07-2012 08:08 AM

If you buy muslin, buy good stuff. It shrinks. Black is pretty, BUT they didn't use black in the 30's quilts. All they had was muslin. I love it on the back of my quilts too.