Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions Please

Suggestions Please

I recently purhased a quilting pattern book called Link to the 1930's Making the Quilts We didn't inherit. I want to make this quilt as pictured with various patterns of feed sack materials, but not sure I want the backround to be white. Just thinking about yellowing and getting dirty maybe quicker then say another colour. So not being sure as to what other colour to use besides white I'd like to get some suggestions from you all. Looking forward to hearing your replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the 30's there were some solid colors which were used often, and are now available as reproductions. Any of those which are pale would work, like pale yellow, green, or lavendar. I don't think I'd use anything in the medium value range, though, like the bubble gum pink or that medium blue which was popular in the 30's. That's a nice pattern. I like your choice. Have fun!

Black would make a beautiful and dramatic quilt. Or you could use a variation of any of the colors in the quilt. On my monitor I see a light teal which would be pretty or maybe a red etc.

Power Poster
    I don't think you can go wrong with a pale green as your background fabric. Since the 1930's are mostly flower colours, the pale green would look like the background garden greenery? I would suggest beige but I think that would just make the quilt look soiled?

i agree with the pale green, yellow, lavendar..

Blog Entries
    I agree with Tartan about green for the background as long as it stays light and toned down, meaning not bright or minty green. You could also use the white in the blocks and make the border around the blocks in a toned down blue and the HST border with the white. Also have you thought about using a natural muslin as your background?
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I love the title of the book you are using.

Natural muslin of a good quality with a high thread count might look nice, as was suggested. It would also be closer to the original look which you stated you liked.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking of muslin, too, or a bone color, which would tie in with the antique look.

The book actually suggests using muslin. I was asking the lady at the fabric store today about it and she said to make sure to pre wash as it does tend to shrink more so then cotten. Have any of you worked with muslin before? What do you all think of maybe a light grey colour instead of the white or do you think that would look too drab? All your suggestions are great so far thank you for taking the time to answer

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaquilts44 View Post
    Black would make a beautiful and dramatic quilt. Or you could use a variation of any of the colors in the quilt. On my monitor I see a light teal which would be pretty or maybe a red etc.
    I agree with nanaquilts44, I think the black would look cool.

I took your picture and inverted the colours. The colours would be a lot brighter than what is showing in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think I would like a light grey as a background, because the 30's colors were all clear (not greyed) colors, usually paired with some white in the prints. Grey was used in the 30's prints, though. I just don't think a grey background would look like a typical 30's quilt. JMHO. It's your quilt. You can do whatever blows your skirt up.

Blog Entries
    My two cents here --- my family has one or two of the original feedsack quilts running around --- the white fabric was from flour sacks in our case --- sometimes it came in printed fabric most of the time in white. Over the years it has held up well color wise. Yellowing tends to happen if around smoke or not cleaned as often as it should've been. These are utilitarian quilts made to be used. So, I would opt for a natural cream tone on the lightest side if not using the white. If going for a color, go with the palest tint available. We are so fortunate to have fabric choices available and the $$$ to spend on our hobbies.

I love that pattern! I vote for the paler green as well.
    KnitnNan

Quote Originally Posted by WilliP View Post
    My two cents here --- my family has one or two of the original feedsack quilts running around --- the white fabric was from flour sacks in our case --- sometimes it came in printed fabric most of the time in white. Over the years it has held up well color wise.
    thanks for sharing this experience. it's nice to know.
    KnitnNan

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Kona makes a wonderful muslin, in white and cream. I have used it and I love it.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Blog Entries
    I have to agree with the muslin suggestion - something that would definitely be used in the 30's and a good, sturdy
    fabric. I think this would make a better background than any of the colors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cad_queen_2000 View Post
    I agree with nanaquilts44, I think the black would look cool.

I took your picture and inverted the colours. The colours would be a lot brighter than what is showing in the picture.
    This is striking but doesn't say 1930 to me. However, I really do like it!

If you really like the 30's look, stick with the white or a pale cream. I've recently seen a small mottle in very pale cream and white and thought it would be perfect for 30's or Civil War background fabric. To me, "the look" is more important than the fact that it might need more frequent washing. JMO, of course.

I like mixing the white on white or white on natural or white on tan prints with 30's repro's. The WOW is such a subtle print that you don't even really notice that it's a print. The white on natural might be your favorite because there's variation to hide smudges of this or that, but it's light-colored enough to pass for a traditional muslin. Be careful buying this type of print if the design is dense, because it can be a bear to quilt through, even by machine. If you go with the prints made of fine lines and tiny designs, you can't tell the difference when you're quilting.

I hand-appliqued 36 Sunbonnet Sues and Sam's on the WOW backgrounds once for a swap - the densely printed ones made me absolutely crazy. When quilting them, you might get a lot of skipped stitches.

Beautiful quilt - now I have to get that book!

Blog Entries
    I agree!! I'm doing a Dear Jane using natural muslin and love the "authentic" look! It was my first thought when I saw your pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    Natural muslin of a good quality with a high thread count might look nice, as was suggested. It would also be closer to the original look which you stated you liked.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by cindle View Post
    The book actually suggests using muslin. I was asking the lady at the fabric store today about it and she said to make sure to pre wash as it does tend to shrink more so then cotten. Have any of you worked with muslin before? What do you all think of maybe a light grey colour instead of the white or do you think that would look too drab? All your suggestions are great so far thank you for taking the time to answer
    I made a scrappy 30's Irish Chain a couple of years ago & I used some really wonderful muslin that I got from Nancy's Notions. It was called something like Vintage Muslin or some name similar to that. It was white (not natural) but not quite pure white. It really looked nice with my scraps & I wish I'd bought a bunch more of it! I have used muslin (in fact, I back almost all my quilts with muslin because I like the way it feels after it's washed) & I personally love it. But I would suggest that you buy good muslin... not the 99 cent a yard stuff. I usually use Moda & I love it. I know some of the gals here on the board like Kona but I find it rather stiff. Yes, it does shrink (& wrinkle) but once you get used to that, it's fine.

I can't wait to see your quilt when you make it. I love reproduction fabrics! Good luck!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I am doing a 30's quilt right now and also didn't want the white background. I am using a wonderful light yellow and just love it. Good luck.

Whenever I wanta non white (but white) I use Kona Cotton SNOW...it is the berst for a cross between white and cream. Gorgeous!

i'd say pale green or yellow.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I think jade was commonly used in 30s and 40s quilts. If you prefer a natural color you might try "Super muslin" which I buy at Walmart. I bought a bolt of it but the clerk ripped off the tag. It's made by a well known muslin company, but I can't recall the name of it......dang old age...... It looks like muslin but is much heavier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast