Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for a quilt using 52 yards of different fabric!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-quilt-using-52-yards-different-fabric-t252752.html)

GrannieAnnie 08-30-2014 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Neel (Post 6866682)
My daughter started a photo a week project with her new baby. So each week she uses one yard of a different fabric for the background. I will take that fabric and make a quilt. I've encouraged her to at least make each month's fabrics coordinate - ie the first month she used all pinks, etc.

I'm at a loss as to what pattern to use for this quilt. I would like to make a block that contains four or five fabrics. That way I could use a months worth of fabric for each block. I realize I will have a lot of fabric left over and am thinking that I could make another quilt further down the line as the little angel grows.

Thanks so much for any suggestions! Love this board - you all are so supportive of each other!

There are dozens and dozens of scrappy quilt patterns. pick one

GingerK 08-30-2014 06:29 PM

What a wonderful idea. First of all, I hope that SHE is buying the fabric. Secondly, before suggesting a pattern, how confident a quilter are YOU? Are you looking for a pattern for the baby's first year? What size are you thinking about? Establish the parameters and then you can refine the design.

GrannieAnnie 08-30-2014 06:40 PM

hummmmmmmmmmmm, been cogitating. How about doing a rag quilt? Here's my thinking. In the first couple months you could put together a 3 X 3 square for a tiny quilt for a tiny girl. In 3 weeks add 3 more squares. You'll already have a "finished" quilt in hand and yet it will be growing with the baby. And since you've got plenty of fabric, you can make all three layers of your quilt the same fabric. Every few weeks add more squares to keep the quilt even.

At the start, if you do this, you are going to have to give up any idea of coordinating your colors.

This is assuming your DD and GD live fairly close to you, so you can all enjoy the quilt.. At 13 months (56 weeks) you'd have a quilt about the right size for little sis to use for several years.

One more thing----------what size of squares??????? I'd say to finish out at 8" . At 13 months you'd have a quilt 56" by 64" about perfect for a young girl.

MaryMo 08-30-2014 06:51 PM

I would suggest my favorite quilt .... an I-Spy quilt. But there are so many suggestions here that you could do all of them with all the yardage you will be collecting. What a great way to celebrate a baby's first year!

tesspug 08-30-2014 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 6866997)
hummmmmmmmmmmm, been cogitating. How about doing a rag quilt? Here's my thinking. In the first couple months you could put together a 3 X 3 square for a tiny quilt for a tiny girl. In 3 weeks add 3 more squares. You'll already have a "finished" quilt in hand and yet it will be growing with the baby. And since you've got plenty of fabric, you can make all three layers of your quilt the same fabric. Every few weeks add more squares to keep the quilt even.

At the start, if you do this, you are going to have to give up any idea of coordinating your colors.

This is assuming your DD and GD live fairly close to you, so you can all enjoy the quilt.. At 13 months (56 weeks) you'd have a quilt about the right size for little sis to use for several years.

One more thing----------what size of squares??????? I'd say to finish out at 8" . At 13 months you'd have a quilt 56" by 64" about perfect for a young girl.

Very clever idea. You could grow the quilt outward from the center square which would be the first picture.

ghostrider 08-30-2014 09:03 PM

Are you SURE you want a full yard of each fabric?? That's over $500 just for fabric and you'll be using less than a quarter yard for each of the 52 photo blocks, a bit more for the 4 corner blocks to fill out the rectangle, and then some for borders, binding, and backing. Think about it.

justflyingin 08-30-2014 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 6867143)
Are you SURE you want a full yard of each fabric?? That's over $500 just for fabric and you'll be using less than a quarter yard for each of the 52 photo blocks, a bit more for the 4 corner blocks to fill out the rectangle, and then some for borders, binding, and backing. Think about it.

I would guess that she wants to build a stash as well! :)

Bree123 08-31-2014 12:01 AM

1) A yo-yo quilt
2) scrappy version of Grandmother's Flower Garden (super cute if the baby is a little girl, could be a nice item for her hope chest as a Queen sized quilt)
3) reversible quilt
4) an applique baby quilt for 1st b-day -- I just made one of these dimensional doll dress quilts for my niece (actually, I sized it down, cutting off the 4th row of dresses & all of the outermost pink-and-white borders) and added her name to the border in puffy letters. So cute you could just eat it up ... and she had tried her hardest to do just that! lol
McCall's pattern 6412
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m641...hp?page_id=909
You could do each of the floral yo-yo's in a different fabric and maybe add some more color to the outer borders or replace the outer borders entirely with a single piano key border). The only things I would suggest if you are doing this quilt pattern is (1) tack down the edges of all the yo-yo's if it's going to a baby because they will want to pull those things right off the quilt, and (2) who knows why McCall's has so many baby quilts that call for tiny buttons, but obviously that's insane. I got custom iron-on button stickers from irononsticker.com (so cute, they have the little button holes punched out and everything -- unlimited colors. Just peel & press. :) Other than that, it turned out super cute & requires quite a number of different fabrics. You could use some of the applique fabrics in the piano key border & add some more.
Final size of mine was 54"x42" (3 rows of dresses, inner border & an outer border that was 4" on top/bottom, 2" on sides). I think it would look slightly better with a 4" border all around if you're doing piano keys. You could definitely get all 52 fabrics in doing 2-3" width strips.

If it's a boy, I would suggest this "Little Monsters" pattern by Don't Look Now! http://dontlooknow.bigcartel.com/pro...ittle-monsters. Just have to keep fabrics in the same color families so it doesn't get too crazy.

Gay 08-31-2014 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What about doing a block a month with each months' fabrics, and print a photo for the centre circle, something like this one.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]489721[/ATTACH]

GrannieAnnie 08-31-2014 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 6867143)

the daughter is buying the fabic pieces to be used as a back drop for weekly photos. If the fabric is purchased on sale, DD can probably get by for 5-6 dollars per yard.

The fact of the matter is that this is going to be a very special photographic presentation. ONE really good sitting with a professional would probably be in that price range.