Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for a quilt using 52 yards of different fabric!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-quilt-using-52-yards-different-fabric-t252752.html)

Neel 08-30-2014 02:19 PM

Suggestions for a quilt using 52 yards of different fabric!!!

My daughter started a photo a week project with her new baby. So each week she uses one yard of a different fabric for the background. I will take that fabric and make a quilt. I've encouraged her to at least make each month's fabrics coordinate - ie the first month she used all pinks, etc.

I'm at a loss as to what pattern to use for this quilt. I would like to make a block that contains four or five fabrics. That way I could use a months worth of fabric for each block. I realize I will have a lot of fabric left over and am thinking that I could make another quilt further down the line as the little angel grows.

Thanks so much for any suggestions! Love this board - you all are so supportive of each other!

M.Elizabeth 08-30-2014 02:25 PM

I don't have any suggestions about the quilt, but welcome to the board where you will learn much!

mike'sgirl 08-30-2014 02:34 PM

Postage stamp? That way you only need a little of each fabric.

cjsews 08-30-2014 02:36 PM

How about a Dresden plate? That could use as many fabrics as you want for the blades in each plate.

Quilter 65 08-30-2014 02:48 PM

What a great idea she has and what a record of growth and change. Welcome.

bearisgray 08-30-2014 03:02 PM

9-patch? You can make the squares quite small.

This is an interesting idea.

AngeliaNR 08-30-2014 03:11 PM

Maybe a string quilt? You could make a couple or three blocks with a mixture of the month's fabrics. It wouldn't use much though. Thinking long term, you might save the rest for a later quilt. I saved scraps from when I made my daughter's childhood clothing and made a quilt for her daughter from them.

just_the_scraps_m'am 08-30-2014 06:13 PM

52 yards? that's gonna have to be a mighty BIG quilt!!! LOL

Barb in Louisiana 08-30-2014 06:15 PM

The 1600 quilts use 2 1/2 inch strips sewn together. You could change the size to be 1 1/2 inch so that each would finish at 1 inch, so 52 would only be 52 inches long. This would be fun, because you could use the strips in the same order that she is using them. Even more fun, would be to print several of the month's pic on fabric and include them in the quilt. Or just a first pic and then one at a year and then surround them with the strips. This is such a great opportunity for both of you to document the first year. It will be neat if she includes fabrics for the holidays or seasons of the year so that you get a real timeline feel with the quilt.

Or, what if you use the strips to make log cabin blocks with her pics as the centers. You may have to add a neutral to make everything flow.

I am laughing at myself, because I can think up some of the most fun projects to add to my hundred or so that I already have to quilt. Please show us your progress as you get going.

KwiltyKahy 08-30-2014 06:19 PM

What a great idea. Hope she can keep up with it. I had a similar thought when my first one was born. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line it went by the wayside.