Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for "summer weight" quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-summer-weight-quilt-t225599.html)

Skratchie 07-11-2013 11:15 AM

Suggestions for "summer weight" quilt?

I need to replace the tattering quilt on my bed (insert sobbing noises here) so we slept under the Ugly Quilt last night. It's too hot for the summertime, so I am trying to think of something I can do that will be "summer weight" ... anyone have any suggestions? I don't know if there's a lightweight batting or if I should use something else in the middle layer, but I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks.

dakotamaid 07-11-2013 11:23 AM

I would use the thinnest poly batting or a flannel sheet that has been washed a dozen times as the inside.:)

bearisgray 07-11-2013 11:24 AM

Some people have just made a top with a backing/lining (only two layers).

Surprisingly, very light weight wool is not "hot"

Jackie Spencer 07-11-2013 11:43 AM

Recently I bought what I thought was a beautiful set of sheets. When I got them home to wash, I discovered I had bought a Duvey cover. So I took it apart, had 2 layers, sent it to my neice to LA. She put a light batting between the layers and quilted it. Its a perfect summer quilt. There are no seams from piecing, surprising how much weight all those seams add to a quilt!! I just love it!!

Annie68 07-11-2013 11:50 AM

There is a very lightweight poly batt called Thermore by Hobbs. I've used it for summer quilts, it's perfect for that.

QuiltE 07-11-2013 12:26 PM

Summer weight for where?
:DThe heat of the tropics? or? :D

My summer quilt is a traditionally pieced quilt top with flannelette for the batting.

With the tri-layer of cotton, it is not warm, as cotton breathes.
While light in weight, I would avoid a polyester, as they don't breathe the same and in essence can be quite warm!

caspharm 07-11-2013 12:31 PM

You could use a bamboo or bamboo blend batting. It is very lightweight, breathes well, and is antibacterial. I used one in my MIL's quilt and it feels very light in comparison to Warm and Natural.

Skratchie 07-11-2013 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6172141)
Summer weight for where?
:DThe heat of the tropics? or? :D

My summer quilt is a traditionally pieced quilt top with flannelette for the batting.

With the tri-layer of cotton, it is not warm, as cotton breathes.
While light in weight, I would avoid a polyester, as they don't breathe the same and in essence can be quite warm!

I live very slightly northwest of Houston. It's 106 degrees right now; I just came in the house, and it's a trifle warm out there!

The batting in the ugly quilt is cotton and it was so hot last night it was ridiculous. Maybe the bamboo or something might work ...

tesspug 07-11-2013 02:58 PM

Here in the desert of the Southwest a sheet is too hot.

mucky 07-11-2013 03:43 PM

I live in s. Texas and have a bed runner to decorate my room and just cover with a sheet. It's not mandatory to use a quilt.