Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Summer quilts?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/summer-quilts-t282410.html)

spartan quilter 09-23-2016 06:10 AM

Summer quilts??

I am working on a summer quilt and am wondering how others finish them. Do you still use some batting or do you just add the backing and quilt it? My grand daughter is always warm, we live in North Dakota where winters can get cold and she still sleeps with her window open during the winter. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

PaperPrincess 09-23-2016 06:15 AM

You Can go no batt or use a layer of pre-washed flannel. I think the flannel helps the quilt to drape better.

ckcowl 09-23-2016 06:15 AM

I use a lightweight batting in my summer quilts. Adds a nice bit of body without too much weight or warmth. My favorite summer quilt; the one that lives on my bed all summer long; has a dream wool batting. It is fabulous to work with, lightweight but lofty, breaths, very comfortable all summer long.

cashs_mom 09-23-2016 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7659529)
You Can go no batt or use a layer of pre-washed flannel. I think the flannel helps the quilt to drape better.

I've done the flannel and it's works great.

Bree123 09-23-2016 07:36 AM

I love Hobb's Heirloom washable wool. It is cool in the summer & warm in the winter. I used to think there was no way wool would be cooler than cotton, but I tried one while visiting with friends once and was totally hooked! It truly is the coolest option I can think of for summer batting.

Jan in VA 09-23-2016 10:42 PM

Flannel is good as a very light weight batting, but be SURE to wash and fully dry it to get the best shrinkage before batting with it.

If you'd rather use a 'real' batting, Quilters Dream Cotton, Request loft, is their thinnest, lightest weight batting. It handquilts beautifully, too. (Sleeping with the window open in the winter in North Dakota -- Oh my goodness, I can't even imagine??!!)

zennia 09-24-2016 02:51 AM

I have one on my bed right now with no batting just a backing and quilted. It is warm enough that i keep pushing it off and on during the night.

117becca 09-24-2016 03:10 AM

i love the teeny tiny stitches i can get when there is flannel in the middle! LOL!

mkc 09-24-2016 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7660077)

If you'd rather use a 'real' batting, Quilters Dream Cotton, Request loft, is their thinnest, lightest weight batting.

That's my go-to for a lightweight/summerweight quilt.

Michelle

tessagin 09-24-2016 04:00 AM

I know a few people who sleep with the window cracked a couple inches. One lives in Montana and another and her family in Indiana. It's all about the fresh air. Not wide open but just an inch or two. I'm making note of all the batting suggestions. the quilts I have started working on again are all going north to Indiana and Michigan.

Originally Posted by spartan quilter (Post 7659526)
I am working on a summer quilt and am wondering how others finish them. Do you still use some batting or do you just add the backing and quilt it? My grand daughter is always warm, we live in North Dakota where winters can get cold and she still sleeps with her window open during the winter. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks