Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Summer quilts?? >

Summer quilts??

Summer quilts??

Old 09-23-2016, 06:10 AM

Default Summer quilts??

I am working on a summer quilt and am wondering how others finish them. Do you still use some batting or do you just add the backing and quilt it? My grand daughter is always warm, we live in North Dakota where winters can get cold and she still sleeps with her window open during the winter. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

You Can go no batt or use a layer of pre-washed flannel. I think the flannel helps the quilt to drape better.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I use a lightweight batting in my summer quilts. Adds a nice bit of body without too much weight or warmth. My favorite summer quilt; the one that lives on my bed all summer long; has a dream wool batting. It is fabulous to work with, lightweight but lofty, breaths, very comfortable all summer long.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
You Can go no batt or use a layer of pre-washed flannel. I think the flannel helps the quilt to drape better.
I've done the flannel and it's works great.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:36 AM

I love Hobb's Heirloom washable wool. It is cool in the summer & warm in the winter. I used to think there was no way wool would be cooler than cotton, but I tried one while visiting with friends once and was totally hooked! It truly is the coolest option I can think of for summer batting.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:42 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Flannel is good as a very light weight batting, but be SURE to wash and fully dry it to get the best shrinkage before batting with it.

If you'd rather use a 'real' batting, Quilters Dream Cotton, Request loft, is their thinnest, lightest weight batting. It handquilts beautifully, too. (Sleeping with the window open in the winter in North Dakota -- Oh my goodness, I can't even imagine??!!)
Old 09-24-2016, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

I have one on my bed right now with no batting just a backing and quilted. It is warm enough that i keep pushing it off and on during the night.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:10 AM

i love the teeny tiny stitches i can get when there is flannel in the middle! LOL!
Old 09-24-2016, 03:44 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

If you'd rather use a 'real' batting, Quilters Dream Cotton, Request loft, is their thinnest, lightest weight batting.
That's my go-to for a lightweight/summerweight quilt.

Michelle
Old 09-24-2016, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

I know a few people who sleep with the window cracked a couple inches. One lives in Montana and another and her family in Indiana. It's all about the fresh air. Not wide open but just an inch or two. I'm making note of all the batting suggestions. the quilts I have started working on again are all going north to Indiana and Michigan.
Originally Posted by spartan quilter View Post
I am working on a summer quilt and am wondering how others finish them. Do you still use some batting or do you just add the backing and quilt it? My grand daughter is always warm, we live in North Dakota where winters can get cold and she still sleeps with her window open during the winter. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks