Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts

Blog Entries

Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts

I have been quilting now for about 5 1/2 years and I am finding that my tastes are changing. Don't get me wrong I really love making quilts with three layers. However, I am finding that I am really liking making Summer Quilts with just the quilt top and a nice flannel backing. Now, if I do a quilt for a gift I will be doing Traditional. But for just quilts that I have laying around the house, I am liking Summer quilts. I think Summer Quilts for children would be good because of the fact they can bunch them up and drag them around and not be so heavy. I did ask some friends on my Facebook and it was pretty much either way is good. lol My mom said she actually preferred Summer quilts as well.

What say my Quilting Board friends, Traditional 3 layer quilts or Summer Quilts? I know it is all personal preferences, but I am just curious how many others out there prefer doing Summer Quilts over Traditional quilts...

Wendys Quilts
    Wendy
    http://wendyspatchworks.blogspot.com/

Personally, I prefer doing traditional ones. Around here it is usually a cooler climate. Though having a summer quilt or two, wouldn't hurt. Both choices are great~~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I haven't tried a summer quilt yet, but I can see where it would be nice to have one. Will have to do it.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Power Poster
    Traditional quilts have 3 layers and I still do most of my quilts this way. I have done a couple of blankets with a pieced top and fleece on the back with no batt.

I haven't tried one yet, but it really would be nice to have.

Actually, it would be a summer blanket or coverlet, I always use 3 layers and therefore a quilt. :>

I love them both, I live in Mid-Missouri so hot summers and cold winters.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    I say that even before looking at your profile info, I knew you lived in the south!!! Here in the north, 3 layer quilts with a natural fiber (wool, cotton, silk) batting work all year for me. Last week it was in the 40's at night. In August.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I say that even before looking at your profile info, I knew you lived in the south!!! Here in the north, 3 layer quilts with a natural fiber (wool, cotton, silk) batting work all year for me. Last week it was in the 40's at night. In August.
    Yep..... I'm in Michigan, too. Traditional quilts work best here in the northwoods.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Dear Wendy,
    I have never made a 2 layer quilt. So, I'm a bit bias. If we're going for warmth, then rag quilt with batting sandwiched with flannel on both sides. Our 100% cotton quilts (with 100% cotton batting), don't seem to provide THAT much warmth, so I refer to them as summer quilts. In home that's kept at 70* year round, rag quilts are used year round as well. My vote is for 3 layers.
    Go forth and sew!

I have used flannel as the batting as we have very little cold weather. I have never done it with two layers. I still love the batting for the most of my quilts.

I consider the quilting itself is just as integral as the piecing. If there is no quilting, I would not consider the pieced unquilted 2 layers a quilt.

I veiw the texture created by quilting just as much art as piecing. Even when I hand quilted I felt that way. As the old saying goes, the quilting makes the quilt. So count me as traditional.

I'd say continue with what you enjoy doing the most. Last summer I made an extremely light weight throw, from a kit offered by Connecting Threads. It was done in cotton lawn. I used the same fabric for the back. I found a super-super light weight batting made by pellon. Can't remember what it was called but it came in a large roll at Joann's. Just perfect for a slightly chilly central New York State morning or evening, and it drapes wonderful with the lighter weight cotton lawn. Later I "bucked" tradition by making a winter throw and rather than use a batting, just used polar fleece for the backing. Was very happy with that too.

I wouldn't use flannel on the back just because I don't like flannel. But, I think a two layer quilt for warm climates is fine. I would just use a solid on the back so the pattern doesn't show thru to the front. After I get settled again I'm thinking about making a two layer quilt for myself.

I am working on a summer quilt right now. Pieced top and backing. This is my first one. I think it would look better on my bed than just a sheet in the summer.

Blog Entries
    I always make table toppers without batting, and I have made a couple of twin size quilts without batting because it seems a really good weight for the A/C in the summer. I think it is a personal thing, but I really do like the quilting with batting, it just doesn't show up on the two layer quilts.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Think of the money you save not using batting!!! That's the first thing I thought of. I live in Oregon where it's cold at night year round and warm during the day only three months of the year (NE Oregon). Who says you can't quilt a two layer quilt? Of course you'd want to. I think I'd like to make a few two layer quilts. Thanks for the idea.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Another southerner chiming in here. My family likes the ones I do with pieced top and fleece back that serves instead of batting. I gifted some as well and they were gratefully received too.

I'm traditional 3 layers. I live in Germany right now... There's nothing summer about Germany lol
    *Rachel*

I thought summer quilts were three layer but using flannel instead of batting for the middle layer.

By all definitions, a quilt has three layers joined by stitching. Two layers does not a quilt make. Summer quilts, to be called such, still have three layers, just a much thinner center layer, like flannel as Mdegenhart said.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    i've made lots of 'summer quilts' ---- with lightweight batting. my quilts can be found at picnics on beaches all around- a few years ago I sold about 70 of them---they all had batting. I like using a nice lightweight/low loft batting because it gives the seams a place to *hide* makes for a nice smooth quilt to sit/lay on.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

As you get older, most people I have talked to seem to feel colder than they did when they were younger. Don't know if it is circulation or what. I prefer the layered quilts.

I have never made one, but I may just try that with my next quilt. Here it seems like summer all year round!!
    Amythyst

I have made 2 "summer" quilts. 1 with no batting in the middle- cotton piecing on the front and cotton backing. This one was very light weight but it did not have very good body and wrinkled all the time. The 2nd one I used flannel as the batting and actually it was just as heavy as regular batting I use (Hobbs 80/20) and the flannel cost more that using Hobbs batting. Also I had to piece the flannel- not so with batting! I use/made these quilts with bright/cool colors for summer. If I make another "summer"quilt I will put regular batting in it. I live on Ohio but use the AC in summer so house is cool so might need quilt!
    Last edited by bigsister63; 08-21-2013 at 04:41 AM.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast