Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sun Bonnet Sue each month of the year...wallhangings. No stash so.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sun-bonnet-sue-each-month-year-wallhangings-no-stash-so-t176810.html)

skowron5 01-26-2012 12:32 PM

My 20% email from Joanns was from now until Saturday. I used mine yesterday

patdesign 01-26-2012 03:12 PM

I agree with an earlier poster, fat quarters, charms, and layer cakes even jelly rolls will get you the variety you need to work with these patterns. Dont overlook thrift shops as sources of fabrics or even clothing that can be cut up. I worked on a log cabin for my son for Christmas and used denim as well as a couple of his old shirts that were primarily blue plaids and checks to round out my blocks. Have fun and don't stress!:)

wildyard 01-26-2012 04:02 PM

Another hint: Keep an eye on the remnants at Joann's as they are half price. I always check them out and will buy them if I can afford it, just to have options in bigger scraps.

Charleen DiSante 01-27-2012 05:50 AM

Sunbonnet sue is fun to make. There are so many versions, there is one that is called the Demise of Sunbonne Sue, you can probably google it. It's a little scary :P-)

gypsylady5 01-27-2012 12:52 PM

Sue is a fun quilt to make. Have fun and do post for scraps - lots of us have pieces we don't have any other use for and will be happy to share with you. Be sure to post the pictures of your progress.

Rose Ann 01-27-2012 02:56 PM

Don't worry about asking JoAnn's fabric cutters for 1/4 yd of fabric from a lot of bolts. I do it all the time and enjoy discussing what the customer is making. Not only do I get to know our customers, but I get quilting tips and ideas.

jillnjo 01-27-2012 03:17 PM

I'd cut off the bolt,too. Sometimes you need the shape of a fat quarter to get the size of pieces the patterns call for, so I get 1/3 yd and that usually gives enough extra if a pattern calls for fat quarters. It does cost money and I try to be frugal if I can, but it's not easy!!

wildyard 01-27-2012 03:46 PM

I once apologized to the clerk for bringing her a cartfull of bolts to cut quarter and half yards from. She told me not to worry, she didn't mind at all. She said it's all the same for her if she cuts 15 bolts for one person or 1 bolt for 15 people. Then she said, "I'm going to be here cutting no matter what!" and laughed. She was very nice.

Rose Burnett 01-27-2012 08:19 PM

You will love making a Sunbonnet Sue quilt. The patriotic one you made sounds outstanding. Please post a photograph of it when you finish. It is a great idea.

Andrea 01-28-2012 10:44 AM

Word of warning about the muslin! I made the foolish mistake of making a whole quilt top using the muslin I had on hand. But then I got to wondering where I got it and whether it was a "cheapie" of not. So I washed and dried some of the leftover fabric. ARGGGHH. The square came out more than half an inch smaller than when I started and had wrinkles that wouldn't come out. I'm having to take apart and remake the whole top using better muslin. So be sure to wash and dry whatever muslin you have. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it turns out to be just fine.