Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   T- Shirt Quilt Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/t-shirt-quilt-help-t160884.html)

frugalfabrics 10-16-2011 01:21 PM

Pellon 911FF is the one I use

jlm5419 10-16-2011 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ZTAgirlknits
So I am planning on making myself a tshirt quilt with all my shirts from the summer camp I have worked at for the last 5 summers. I've never made one before and I was wondering was sort of stabilizer to use on the tshirts, any suggestions? Or if there is a pattern somewhere for a tshirt quilt......

For the t-shirt quilts I have made, I used lightweight fusible interfacing. It worked well and did the trick.

mtnative 10-16-2011 01:51 PM

I am grateful,too, for all this helpful info since I have a couple of these to make. I bookmarked your page, Barb. Thanks for sharing.

katz_n_kwiltz 10-16-2011 02:09 PM

ah yes, gotta love the tshirts, just use a light fusible interfacing, THEN cut to size, easier that way, may be more waste with interfacing, but its not really expensive.
good luck
katz

echoemb 10-16-2011 03:22 PM

I've been using what is called fashion fuse. Real light and works well.

hopetoquilt 10-16-2011 04:32 PM

I just used Pellon EK-130 which is a light stabilizer recommended to me. Seemed to work well. Last one I made, I used a stabilizer that was too thick/heavy. made quilting very difficult. I also used sashing that was too wide. Won't make that mistake again.

I have 80 shirts cut and fused already. I want 98 before I start. I am making 2 quilts (one for each son) and the blocks are 9" finished.

meg-2 10-16-2011 04:54 PM

Is there a difference between fusable stablizer and Heat n Bond? If so what? I am attempting my first quilt, machine, and some of my appliques will be from T-shirt material. Only in the getting everything I need stage-this includes-knowing how :)

kathdavis 10-16-2011 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156

Originally Posted by ZTAgirlknits
So I am planning on making myself a tshirt quilt with all my shirts from the summer camp I have worked at for the last 5 summers. I've never made one before and I was wondering was sort of stabilizer to use on the tshirts, any suggestions? Or if there is a pattern somewhere for a tshirt quilt......

I have no clue sorry. I am sure someone will know though. I just wanted to comment on the name of your town you live in.

My dad's name is Kearney. I've never seen the name anywhere before just now. :)

We also have a Kearney, Missouri, north of Liberty, Missouri

kathdavis 10-16-2011 06:55 PM

I made my daughter's using 12 inch blocks. I also used some of the backs of her shirts when they had good info on them.

quilterella 10-17-2011 01:15 AM

I am in the process of making one now for my DSIL who runs Marathons. I used Lighweight Tricot stablizer. The pattern I finally decided to do was ninepatch alternating with snowball blocks. I had originally thought of triple irish chain, but ninepatch and snowball were so much easier, and the blocks are 12.5". I am currently quilting it, so I will post it when finished.