Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: T- Shirt Quilt Help

So I am planning on making myself a tshirt quilt with all my shirts from the summer camp I have worked at for the last 5 summers. I've never made one before and I was wondering was sort of stabilizer to use on the tshirts, any suggestions? Or if there is a pattern somewhere for a tshirt quilt......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTAgirlknits
    So I am planning on making myself a tshirt quilt with all my shirts from the summer camp I have worked at for the last 5 summers. I've never made one before and I was wondering was sort of stabilizer to use on the tshirts, any suggestions? Or if there is a pattern somewhere for a tshirt quilt......
    I have no clue sorry. I am sure someone will know though. I just wanted to comment on the name of your town you live in.

My dad's name is Kearney. I've never seen the name anywhere before just now. :)

Blog Entries
    i'm not sure of stabilizer brands. but it has to be a light stabilizer

I just use a lightwieght fusible from Pellon.

me tooooo- i have a friend yes i really have at least one lol.

she wants me to make her daughter a t shirt quilt.
    i have never made one. :lol:
    can any one help us. blessings to all. ogama

Use the lightest weight fusible stablizer you can find. Making sure that you put the stretch of the stablizer crosswise of the stretch of the t shirt. I cut the stabilizer into pieces slightly larger than I want, fuse it to the shirt and then cut the block to size.

Use a wee touch of a washable glue stick to help hold your seams open rather than pressing to one side (less bulk). Press nicely but remember not to press over any rubberized, painted, etc. emblems on the t shirt.

They look good with or without sashing. This picture will show some of the blocks I am working on. They are not yet in final placement and do not show the sashing.

This is not the final placement, just keep the blocks on the design wall as I am working.
    Name:  Attachment-272406.jpe
Views: 184
Size:  60.8 KB

Thank you for the tips!! Much appreciated!

Blog Entries
    I liked the fusible tricot stabilizer. It kept the t-shirt soft. You just need to be sure to put the stretch of the stabilizer opposite direction the t-shirt stretches.

You might find some patterns on line...try Google. I didn't use a pattern for mine. I just added borders to each t-shirt to make them all the same size, added sashing and borders to the quilt.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Make-Your-Ow...00000000832366

here's a guide I wrote many years ago on making a t-shirt quilt.

the link is off my ebay page.

Blog Entries
    lightweight fusable non-woven stablizer- available at stores like joannes-
    yes there is an actual t=shirt pattern on the market-
    it is called "t-shirt memory quilt from Four Corners Designs--designed by Marilyn Robinson.

Pellon 911FF is the one I use

Blog Entries
    For the t-shirt quilts I have made, I used lightweight fusible interfacing. It worked well and did the trick.

I am grateful,too, for all this helpful info since I have a couple of these to make. I bookmarked your page, Barb. Thanks for sharing.

ah yes, gotta love the tshirts, just use a light fusible interfacing, THEN cut to size, easier that way, may be more waste with interfacing, but its not really expensive.
    good luck
    katz

I've been using what is called fashion fuse. Real light and works well.

I just used Pellon EK-130 which is a light stabilizer recommended to me. Seemed to work well. Last one I made, I used a stabilizer that was too thick/heavy. made quilting very difficult. I also used sashing that was too wide. Won't make that mistake again.

I have 80 shirts cut and fused already. I want 98 before I start. I am making 2 quilts (one for each son) and the blocks are 9" finished.

Is there a difference between fusable stablizer and Heat n Bond? If so what? I am attempting my first quilt, machine, and some of my appliques will be from T-shirt material. Only in the getting everything I need stage-this includes-knowing how :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156
    I have no clue sorry. I am sure someone will know though. I just wanted to comment on the name of your town you live in.

My dad's name is Kearney. I've never seen the name anywhere before just now. :)
    We also have a Kearney, Missouri, north of Liberty, Missouri

Blog Entries
    I made my daughter's using 12 inch blocks. I also used some of the backs of her shirts when they had good info on them.

Blog Entries
    I am in the process of making one now for my DSIL who runs Marathons. I used Lighweight Tricot stablizer. The pattern I finally decided to do was ninepatch alternating with snowball blocks. I had originally thought of triple irish chain, but ninepatch and snowball were so much easier, and the blocks are 12.5". I am currently quilting it, so I will post it when finished.

Banned
    This is what I used for this quilt. Worked really well.
    Measures 76x87 - 14.5" blocks

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I just use a lightwieght fusible from Pellon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quilt in a day has a pattern for t shirt quilt. I used Pellon 911 as stabilizer for my tshirts. It worked very well and made cutting the t shirt blocks smooth and easy. My t shirt quilt is on it's way to the LAQ -it turned out great.

I just retired from being a 4-H agent. I have camped for 20 years and made a t-shirt quilt from my camp t-shirts. They hung it at my retirement reception. I love it. I ironed woven interfacing to the back of the t-shirt with the stretch going the opposite of the stretch of the shirt.
    I have never posted a picture. I hope it works so you can see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Has anyone used those nylon jersey shirts, like the ones kids wear in hockey, in a T shirt quilt?
    Also, how do you quilt them?

Thanks for the tute. I'm in the process of making one right now. I've stabilized the shirts, but am stalled by the next step. Thanks for sharing the info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast