Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
T-Shirt Quilt - help? >

T-Shirt Quilt - help?

T-Shirt Quilt - help?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM

The top is complete. Now I'm stumped on how to proceed from here. I really want to finish this quilt myself, as it's been a labor of love for a wonderful daughter-in-law.

Because some of the shirts have rather large designs, this wouldn't lend itself well to tying the quilt, so it will have to be sewn. I'm trying to decide between a diagonal grid or a clamshell quilting design. I think the grid might be easier, because the machine will do the work of pulling the quilt through evenly. The clamshell design is nice, but getting it smooth and even might be challenging for a beginner like me. I've been practicing free motion on scraps from the quilt and am not really pleased with the results. I suspect it will be even more difficult on the quilt itself because of the bulk.

I've been using my trusty Singer 201-2 and I am having a little difficulty coordinating between the speed of the machine and the motion, and this results in uneven stitches and not so smooth curves, with evident jerkiness. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Quilt top for DDIL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119547[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-119542.jpe  
Old 02-22-2011, 12:15 PM

Don't know how to help, but wanted to say your quilt is beautiful. Love the colors.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Wow..what a beautiful job! Love your colors.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I had a longarm quilter do the T-shirt quilt for my DGD. I had her do just a large meander and it looked really nice. If I were doing on my home machine I think I would do some kind of a grid.
(I was born in OK raised in CA. A friend called me a CIA....California Improved Okie):)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:19 PM

Nice job...I did one and just did stitch in ditch...I'm not good enough at this pt to do anything else.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

I LOVE IT!! That is really nice. Maybe do stitch in the ditch and then go back and motif stitch the pics?? :)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 PM

I love this too. I just finished up 8 T-Shirt quilts. All I can say is trying to stitch through that rubbery stuff (thats on some shirts)...forget it. My machine did not like it at all. Everytime I hit that stuff, the thread would break. I dont know if my machine was being sensative or what. I also ended up using "ball-point" needles, that helped some. I would quilt around some of the designs on the shirts and then of course the borders. Im curious if you used stabilizer on the tshirt fabric? Good luck and I cant wait to see this done. you've done a really nice job.
Sue
Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 PM

Wow, it's awesome!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Several of the shirts had the rubbery printing. I was concerned about how this would affect the quilting process. Yes, I used stabilizer behind ALL of the t-shirt squares.
Originally Posted by suebee
I love this too. I just finished up 8 T-Shirt quilts. All I can say is trying to stitch through that rubbery stuff (thats on some shirts)...forget it. My machine did not like it at all. Everytime I hit that stuff, the thread would break. I dont know if my machine was being sensative or what. I also ended up using "ball-point" needles, that helped some. I would quilt around some of the designs on the shirts and then of course the borders. Im curious if you used stabilizer on the tshirt fabric? Good luck and I cant wait to see this done. you've done a really nice job.
Sue
Old 02-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Gorgeous!!! I think a grid with the help of your walking foot would look great!

If possible, I would create a test sandwich for the rubbery designs to make sure the walking foot will handle them well.