Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T- Shirt Quilt Help

Blog Entries
    My husband was from Kearney, Mo. Still have relatives around there and in Liberty, Mo.

Blog Entries
    I have made about 15 tee shirt and memory quilts. There is a light weight knit fusible that I like best, but any light-weight fusible is fine. If you use something too heavy it makes the shirts way too rigid. Make sure you use the stabilizer on the tee shirt before you cut to the desired size. . . I have done things a variety of ways - with sashing - without - appliqued onto a strip of fabric - I just go where-ever my brain takes me - my last two I did not use batting but used blizzard fleece instead - with instructions to the recipient to wash in cool water only! works fine and takes a fraction of the time !! I also always wash a quilt before I gift it !!

Quote Originally Posted by ZTAgirlknits
    So I am planning on making myself a tshirt quilt with all my shirts from the summer camp I have worked at for the last 5 summers. I've never made one before and I was wondering was sort of stabilizer to use on the tshirts, any suggestions? Or if there is a pattern somewhere for a tshirt quilt......
    I use lightweight Pellon fusing.
    I love making T-shirt quilts. So personal and creative.
    My first for a granddaughter to take to college for her dorm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I just use a lightwieght fusible from Pellon.
    Same here. I'm on my second t-shirt quilt and this is the interfacing I'm using.

I've read through most of the replies and another thing I did was to also back any design on the back or sleeve and then fuse them to an empty spot on the main piece - the front - and then machine applique them. That way all the "bits" are included. My cousin had 30+ concert t's and I wanted to include all the pics - turned out great and she was happy. The quilt was somewhere between a queen and a king and I tied it.

I use a light weight, fusable pellon interfacing. Just make sure you cut the tee shirts bigger than the finished block size. Be generous. Then, fuse the interfacing on the back of the tee shirt. Then and only then....cut the blocks the size you want them to be. You can put them together anyway you want.

Here's a link to a Missouri Star Quilt Company video:

http://www.youtube.com/missouriquilt...20/JE3jqR2N4KA

Blog Entries
    I get light weight fusible at Walmart and stabelize the
    t shirt sections I am going to use. I have made many & have never had a problem with it

Blog Entries
    here are a few of the ones I have done

Son's football memory quilt
    Name:  Attachment-272722.jpe
Views: 404
Size:  86.3 KB

Daughter's Hard Rock Cafe tee-shirt quilt
    Name:  Attachment-272723.jpe
Views: 1042
Size:  91.2 KB

Step son's hard rock cafe tee shirt quilt
    Name:  Attachment-272724.jpe
Views: 361
Size:  55.4 KB

child's memory quilt
    Name:  Attachment-272725.jpe
Views: 331
Size:  53.0 KB

other Step-son's Hard Rock Cafe Tee Shirt quilt
    Name:  Attachment-272726.jpe
Views: 1103
Size:  54.7 KB

Wall hanging (mini) from tee-shirts (first FMQ for me)
    Name:  Attachment-272727.jpe
Views: 326
Size:  47.1 KB

Fraternity quilt
    Name:  Attachment-272728.jpe
Views: 460
Size:  203.2 KB

Sorority quilt
    Name:  Attachment-272729.jpe
Views: 479
Size:  202.3 KB

Hi,

I've made quite a few t shirt quilts and used a very lightweight fusible pellon to stabalize them. There are patterns but the best thing to do is just cut them in a uniform size after stabalizing and then lay them out on the floor to see a good pattern. If you are adventurous use different sizes and border them to get them all the same size. I'm attaching some pics for you. My first one was huge and was double sided.

Lyn

1st t shirt quilt
    Name:  Attachment-272745.jpe
Views: 303
Size:  124.9 KB

I like sashing to break up the business of the T-shirts. This was the first quilt I ever made and boy did I love making it!

Missouri Star Quilt has a tutorial on this - use a light fusible (Pelon). I just took a class at my LQS and they did pretty much what I saw online. Meghan

Quote Originally Posted by ZTAgirlknits
    So I am planning on making myself a tshirt quilt with all my shirts from the summer camp I have worked at for the last 5 summers. I've never made one before and I was wondering was sort of stabilizer to use on the tshirts, any suggestions? Or if there is a pattern somewhere for a tshirt quilt......
    I do mine in the quilt as you go fashion using no stabilizer.

I used pellon and I followed directions from the

Too-cool T-shirts

It's a very good book and easy to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by chpinkham
    Has anyone used those nylon jersey shirts, like the ones kids wear in hockey, in a T shirt quilt?
    Also, how do you quilt them?
    I just did one with wrestling singlets. You can use just about anything. Just finished one using tees and sweats together. Turned out great.

Lightweight fusible - check.
    Press seams open - check.
    Just using sashing- HORRORS!!
    Look at some of the regular quilt patterns that use big blocks! So much more creative! I used a BQ pattern from Maple Island quilts and mine turned out great! Here's a link to mine, I later added a border of the Mizzou fabric.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-126291-1.htm
    I used the pockets from a hoodie to use as a pocket for your tv remote. Just make sure you don't quilt it closed!

I was at the Quilt Expo in Madison, WI and there was a person in a booth demonstrating the 606 spray adhesive. She used it on the back of the sections of the tshirts she wanted to use in the quilt, cut them out and then ironed the pieces on a large piece of black fabric....no sewing and the effect was so cool! I bought 3 cans of the stuff for not only tshirt quilts but banners and applique! The 606 spray is permanent, the edges of the pieces do not ravel.

Quote Originally Posted by hudgoddess
    Lightweight fusible - check.
    Press seams open - check.
    Just using sashing- HORRORS!!
    Look at some of the regular quilt patterns that use big blocks! So much more creative! I used a BQ pattern from Maple Island quilts and mine turned out great! Here's a link to mine, I later added a border of the Mizzou fabric.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-126291-1.htm
    I used the pockets from a hoodie to use as a pocket for your tv remote. Just make sure you don't quilt it closed!

Which BQ pattern did you use? That's a great layout!

Quote Originally Posted by meg-2
    Is there a difference between fusable stablizer and Heat n Bond? If so what? I am attempting my first quilt, machine, and some of my appliques will be from T-shirt material. Only in the getting everything I need stage-this includes-knowing how :)
    I haven't seen an answer to your question yet, so I will try. Heat and Bond that I have bought is more like a Steam-a-Seam or Wonder Under product that is used for applique (sticks it to the main fabric).
    A stabilizer is used to keep the t-shirt from stretching all wonky when piecing your quilt. That is why you place the stretchy sides of the stabilizer in opposite direction of the stretchy sides of the t-shirt. There are different types of stabilizers used for different purposes--one instance is a paper-like one that is used behind machine embroidery or satin stitching.

Okay--that is about the limit of my experience with these products. Anyone with more information, or a better explanation, please feel free to jump in (or correct me if I'm explaining it wrong).

HUDGODDESS loved your quilt. What is a BQ quilt? I am sure everyone LOVES your T shirt quilts!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chpinkham
    Has anyone used those nylon jersey shirts, like the ones kids wear in hockey, in a T shirt quilt?
    Also, how do you quilt them?
    I used the nylon from a soccer shirt and it worked well. The hockey shirts have those holes in them (at least my son's do) so I guess that I would put a t-shirt or cotton square underneath it.

As far as quilting them, if you use 9 inch blocks and batting that only needs stitching every 10 inches, you can stitch in the ditch.

I am on my 3rd t shirt quilt i use any brand but if the shirts are stretchy use a heavy one

Went to a quilt show over the weekend and a lady did a demonstration about T-shirt quilts. Yes, use lightweight fusible interfacing, and she make all her blocks 12" and had sashing between each block. If you use part of the T-shirts that aren't large you can combine smaller pieces on the fabric that you use for sashing so it all matches. Hope this makes sense.

I didn't use any fusible on mine because I didn't like that feel. I just used a piece of thin muslin-like fabric from taking a bedskirt apart. It was the top fabric.
    I sewed the t-shirt sections to the fabric and had absolutely no problem with it at all.

my not fused tshirt quilt
    Name:  Attachment-273001.jpe
Views: 117
Size:  114.6 KB

Pellon Shir-Tailor (950F) works great. It is a fusible stabilizer about 20" wide on the bolt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast