Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   t-shirt quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/t-shirt-quilt-t159771.html)

pjaco 10-11-2011 05:36 PM

Making my first t-shirt quilt and wondering how I want to quilt it. How much quilting is necessary for the inside of the 12" block, is a simple X enough with the fusible interfacing ?

Granna of 5 10-11-2011 06:25 PM

I have one cut and fused but am chicken to put it together. I will be watching this topic to see what others suggest. Good luck.

BETTY62 10-11-2011 07:47 PM

Glad you questioned this. I am getting ready to do my 1st tee shirt so I'll be watching your post.

charismah 10-11-2011 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by pjaco
Making my first t-shirt quilt and wondering how I want to quilt it. How much quilting is necessary for the inside of the 12" block, is a simple X enough with the fusible interfacing ?

Well I would say the "X" should be enough quilting.....but I try to avoid stitching over the T-shirt graphics. If you just meandered around them that would be fine as well.

It may be better to with all the give in the T-shirt material?? I am not sure.

quilticing 10-12-2011 03:09 AM

Only depends on how close the batting needs to be quilted and the look you want.

knlsmith 10-12-2011 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by charismah

Originally Posted by pjaco

Well I would say the "X" should be enough quilting.....but I try to avoid stitching over the T-shirt graphics. If you just meandered around them that would be fine as well.

It may be better to with all the give in the T-shirt material?? I am not sure.

I agree. T shirt Quilts are about the shirts, not the quilting so a simple meander and/or SID is all that is required, and usually what looks best.

mshollysd 10-12-2011 03:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just made a tshirt quilt for the YHS band boosters for the raffle. I meandered and used music notes, Treble clefs, base clefs mixed with my meandering. I also made sure I didn't quilt through the graphics, but outlined some when able. It is totally up to you. I found that it needed to have a little more stability than tying the quilt because of the ironed on interfacing.

Honeynga 10-12-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Granna of 5
I have one cut and fused but am chicken to put it together. I will be watching this topic to see what others suggest. Good luck.

Thought I was the only one....mine too is cut, fused, however mine has a lot of miles on it ! Moved it to MO last year while recovering from heart attack; thought I would finish it while at daughters. Moved from there in FEB back to GA; left quilt hoping she would finish it. Finally had her ship it back to me about 3 months ago.....still hasn't been touched. SO, like you, one day we will get over being chicken and bite the bullet and put it together.

My goal was actually for my GA daughter's 30th birthday, well, today is her birthday and she still doesn't have a t shirt quilt.