Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: t-shirt quilt

  1. #1
    Senior Member pjaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    871
    Blog Entries
    7
    Making my first t-shirt quilt and wondering how I want to quilt it. How much quilting is necessary for the inside of the 12" block, is a simple X enough with the fusible interfacing ?

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,278
    I have one cut and fused but am chicken to put it together. I will be watching this topic to see what others suggest. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mabank, Texas
    Posts
    8,808
    Glad you questioned this. I am getting ready to do my 1st tee shirt so I'll be watching your post.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ephrata, WA
    Posts
    8,993
    Blog Entries
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaco
    Making my first t-shirt quilt and wondering how I want to quilt it. How much quilting is necessary for the inside of the 12" block, is a simple X enough with the fusible interfacing ?
    Well I would say the "X" should be enough quilting.....but I try to avoid stitching over the T-shirt graphics. If you just meandered around them that would be fine as well.

    It may be better to with all the give in the T-shirt material?? I am not sure.

  5. #5
    Senior Member quilticing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lake City, MI
    Posts
    579
    Only depends on how close the batting needs to be quilted and the look you want.

  6. #6
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaco
    Making my first t-shirt quilt and wondering how I want to quilt it. How much quilting is necessary for the inside of the 12" block, is a simple X enough with the fusible interfacing ?
    Well I would say the "X" should be enough quilting.....but I try to avoid stitching over the T-shirt graphics. If you just meandered around them that would be fine as well.

    It may be better to with all the give in the T-shirt material?? I am not sure.
    I agree. T shirt Quilts are about the shirts, not the quilting so a simple meander and/or SID is all that is required, and usually what looks best.

  7. #7
    Senior Member mshollysd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Yankton South Dakota
    Posts
    582
    I just made a tshirt quilt for the YHS band boosters for the raffle. I meandered and used music notes, Treble clefs, base clefs mixed with my meandering. I also made sure I didn't quilt through the graphics, but outlined some when able. It is totally up to you. I found that it needed to have a little more stability than tying the quilt because of the ironed on interfacing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Senior Member Honeynga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    West GA
    Posts
    458
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Granna of 5
    I have one cut and fused but am chicken to put it together. I will be watching this topic to see what others suggest. Good luck.
    Thought I was the only one....mine too is cut, fused, however mine has a lot of miles on it ! Moved it to MO last year while recovering from heart attack; thought I would finish it while at daughters. Moved from there in FEB back to GA; left quilt hoping she would finish it. Finally had her ship it back to me about 3 months ago.....still hasn't been touched. SO, like you, one day we will get over being chicken and bite the bullet and put it together.

    My goal was actually for my GA daughter's 30th birthday, well, today is her birthday and she still doesn't have a t shirt quilt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.