Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   T-Shirt Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/t-shirt-quilts-t224383.html)

iluvsewing68 06-24-2013 02:58 AM

T-Shirt Quilts

My granddaughter wants to make a T-Shirt quilt and I'm looking for some good directions, as I have never made one before. I need some help picking out a good quilting book for this. My granddaughter is 15 and has made a couple patchwork quilts and has done very well with them. Thank you for any advice.

gsbuffalo 06-24-2013 03:32 AM

actually you do not need to buy a book just search online and you will find alot of instructions on doing them.

maryb119 06-24-2013 03:43 AM

Cut the tee shirts extra big first. I cut mine at the shoulders and then the side seams. Then securely fuse interfacting on the back. I prefer a lightweight pelon. You can use a fusible tricot knit interfacing if you want to. The tee shirt knit runs up and down. Place the tricot knit crosswise so the block doesn't stretch. Then and only then, cut the blocks the size you want them to be. Now they are ready to sew. You can put them together with a sashing or just sew them together. You can really use your imagination. You can also add patches like scouting patches or school patches. I sew on lots of things as long as they are washable. I prefer to machine quilt a tee shirt quilt. The fabric is too stretchy for hand quilting.

Narda H. 06-24-2013 04:08 AM

I found the best book ever! T-Shirt Quilts Made Easy by Martha Deleonardis. This has about everything and it will inspire you to do something different if you want to. The only thing I discovered was she recommended Pellon 911FF and I found a even lighter weight fusible at my fav quilt shop. It cost a bit more but was very light and soft. You really don't need much to stabilize the fabric. Click on my name and you can see my posts to see the t-shirt quilt I made for a client.

QuiltE 06-24-2013 08:20 AM

Take a look at the Too Cool T-Shirt Quilts site ... to me, it's the way to go when making a T-Shirt Quilt.

PABerard 06-24-2013 08:30 AM

I have made 3 quilts using their book also. I found them to be very straight forward. I bought their templates too, although a bit costly, but I couldn't make them myself. http://www.toocooltshirtquilts.com/
Have fun!
~ Pat

mckwilter 06-24-2013 09:12 AM

www.crookednickel.com has the fusible gridded fabric to use 10" squares to make t-shirt quilts. They have a video on their website demo-ing their method.

lakekids 06-24-2013 09:26 AM

I bought the templates and the book from Too Cool Tshirt quilts.I have made several T-shirt quilts using this method. However, the templates are pricey if you are only doing 1 quilt. I do NOT use interfacing on the back of the shirts. I quilt them on my home sewing machine.

QuiltE 06-24-2013 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by lakekids (Post 6140878)
I bought the templates and the book from Too Cool Tshirt quilts.I have made several T-shirt quilts using this method. However, the templates are pricey if you are only doing 1 quilt. I do NOT use interfacing on the back of the shirts. I quilt them on my home sewing machine.

While you and PABerard have purchased the templates ... they are not mandatory.

In my quilting rulers, I have the 4-1/2", 12-1/2", 16-1/2" and 20-1/2" square rulers.
A 9-1/2" and just have to remember to cut at 8-1/2".

No I don't have the rectangles ... and so, just work with what I have and cut accordingly.

If doing a lot of quilts, I would have the missing sizes cut in plexi by our local glass shop.
MInimal cost, compared to if I ordered them.

ManiacQuilter2 06-24-2013 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 6140104)
Cut the tee shirts extra big first. I cut mine at the shoulders and then the side seams. Then securely fuse interfacting on the back. I prefer a lightweight pelon. You can use a fusible tricot knit interfacing if you want to. The tee shirt knit runs up and down. Place the tricot knit crosswise so the block doesn't stretch. Then and only then, cut the blocks the size you want them to be. Now they are ready to sew. You can put them together with a sashing or just sew them together. You can really use your imagination. You can also add patches like scouting patches or school patches. I sew on lots of things as long as they are washable. I prefer to machine quilt a tee shirt quilt. The fabric is too stretchy for hand quilting.

This is really all the info you need. Just remember the T-shirt fabric will make a heavier quilt. I always used my 12.5 square. Don't try to make it too complicated with your first quilt. Good Luck !!