Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Taking a color vote. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/taking-color-vote-t238914.html)

LavenderBlue 01-15-2014 01:34 PM

Taking a color vote.

We just received a wedding invitation for July and I will be making a large lap size quilt. I asked the mother of the groom (our long time friend) if she knew the bride's favorite color(s) or could she find out and let me know. She likes coral and turquoise.

My first thought was to combine the two colors, but now I'm wondering if just one of the colors with white would be a better/more elegant way to go.

Just curious how many of you think each way. THX

alisonquilts 01-15-2014 01:42 PM

Just one color (or shades thereof) with white. Coral and turquoise are both lovely colors, but together look totally Southwest. Unless of course you WANT Southwest, in which case use both!

Alison

stillclock 01-15-2014 01:42 PM

hrm. i feel like those colours will fade out of favour in time, and your quilt might end upo looking like something from another era you know?

i might be inclined to incorporate enough of them into a more traditional colour way, though i am firmly of the school of thought that says nothing lasts forever. but wedding gifts often have more staying power than some other things you know?

aileen

LavenderBlue 01-15-2014 01:49 PM

This will not be their main gift or large enough for their bed. I just enjoy making a certain pattern for weddings.

QuiltnNan 01-15-2014 01:51 PM

My first thought is to use a navy blue background and use both colors within that block. I like both colors and they remind me of south Florida. white could also be incorporated.

LavenderBlue 01-15-2014 01:54 PM

The happy couple could not live farther away - near Seattle. :-)

Dina 01-15-2014 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would pick one of the colors and add white. I would probably go with turquoise. That is probably because I have a turquoise and white quilt and really like it.

Since you asked what colors and got an answer, I would do something in one or both colors.

I am going to see if I can find a picture of it, so you can see the combination. It make a very striking quilt. Just in case it "rings your chimes." :)

Dina

Trisher 01-15-2014 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a coral and turquoise quilt I just finished binding yesterday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456731[/ATTACH]

ube quilting 01-15-2014 02:08 PM

The two colors are wonderful together in the right setting. I would opt of A monotone palette of one or the other color.
A single color is very rich looking.Many tones of coral would be beautiful as would turquoise. White might be to stark if to much is used. I would love to see coral from the most pale peach to dark rust.
Congratulations to the family.
peace

yourshortcake 01-15-2014 02:17 PM

Love these colors together. This is so cute.

Originally Posted by Trisher (Post 6514729)
Here is a coral and turquoise quilt I just finished binding yesterday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456731[/ATTACH]