Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Talk to me about thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/talk-me-about-thread-t173693.html)

mltquilt 12-30-2011 06:48 AM

I use Mettler Metrosene 50 wt for piecing.

mltquilt

hsweany 12-30-2011 06:48 AM

Thanks for your help.

QuiltE 12-30-2011 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by hsweany (Post 4823350)
What kind of thread do you use on your domestic machine? I have been using Coats and Clark all purpose or dual duty thread, but it seems to get tangled or break easily. Should I get a different kind? Thanks for your help!

With those problems the first thing I'd do would be to try another kind. Sometimes a machine does not like particular types of thread.

I just recently tried Aurifil. It seems pricey, but with it being so fine, you get a lot more mileage and it makes for such a nice finish on your work. I didn't think different thread could make such a difference. Now I know! And now I have a lot of other thread in my stash that I don't want to use, now that I've found Aurifil, though I will have to, to get it used up.

littlesurfer 12-30-2011 08:24 AM

I use Connecting Threads cotton thread and have never had a problem using it in any of my machines.

snipforfun 12-30-2011 08:28 AM

Superior totally! I normally just use white, off white, gray, and black. The cones last forever. If have need for another small amount of color I buy a small spool of Gutterman.

Mickey1 12-30-2011 10:24 AM

I use Aurifil and really like it.

polly13 12-30-2011 11:29 AM

When I bought my Bernina, they sent me home to practice awhile before taking my free lesson. When I went back the instructor said my Aurifil was an excellent choice as there is very little lint with it. I was told to definitely stay away from C & C.

omaluvs2quilt 12-30-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 4823690)
With those problems the first thing I'd do would be to try another kind. Sometimes a machine does not like particular types of thread.

I just recently tried Aurifil. It seems pricey, but with it being so fine, you get a lot more mileage and it makes for such a nice finish on your work. I didn't think different thread could make such a difference. Now I know! And now I have a lot of other thread in my stash that I don't want to use, now that I've found Aurifil, though I will have to, to get it used up.

Me too! My Janome 6600P loves the aurifil and it lasts a really long time. I've found that using aurifil has cut down my frustration immensley!

BellaBoo 12-30-2011 01:26 PM

Buy one spool of each well known brand and you can compare which thread works best for you. I have at least one spool of every brand of thread and weight size there are. I use them all as one machine likes one brand over the other, one needle size likes one brand over the other, one works best for hand sewing, one works best for embroidery, machine quilting, decorative stitches and which brand will work best in the bobbin. Soon you can cull out the brands of thread that cause you trouble.

QuiltE 12-30-2011 01:51 PM

..... and instead of a fabric stash, you will soon have a thread stash! The good news is that it takes much less space! :)

BellaBoo ... great quote in your siggy!