Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   taping quilt top to wall !!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/taping-quilt-top-wall-t2836.html)

joy 10-21-2007 06:34 PM

Has anybody taped their backing, batting and quilt top to the wall before pinning? I know you can use a table if big enough or use the floor but I am thinking of my back... I wouldn't last long on the floor and the table is not big enough...

It doesn't matter about the wallpaper as it is coming down early in the new year....

I would think it would need two people....

So some advice would be appreciated... thank you.

ceannastahr 10-21-2007 07:56 PM

I use push pins to hold mine to the wall

Moonpi 10-21-2007 09:41 PM

That was my first thought too. Maybe using basting spray may be easier- I don't know how strong pushpins would be, holding 3 layers, for all the time it would take to pin a bed quilt. Should be ok for smaller ones.

of course, if you use duct tape...... Sorry folks, couldn't resist. :D

patricej 10-22-2007 03:17 AM

if you get the duct tape nice and straight ... there's the border all done ahead of time!!!!!

:mrgreen:

kathy 10-22-2007 04:36 AM

yes, it comes in lots of stylish colors these days not just duct grey!lol

imak 10-22-2007 08:02 PM

Patrice
Been thinking about those old curtain stretchers. Am having husb. find his mothers old one and see it the pins are long enough to put all 3 layers on them. Seems like if I get them on that and then pull it straight and tight enough might be able to either pin or sew it to be able to quilt it on machine. What do you think??

Imak

patricej 10-23-2007 01:08 AM

i'd never heard of curtain stretchers before but it sounds like it might work. i'd suggest sewing waste muslin around the edges of the top and backing so the pins don't go through the quilt itself.

if he finds it, show us a picture, please. sounds pretty interesting.

Yvonne 10-23-2007 08:18 AM

I wish I knew where our mother's curtain stretchers went. This sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted. Might have to make me some of those. :lol:

Suz 10-25-2007 05:56 AM

You might also consider stripping your bed, the bigger the better, and use it. You could pin the backing right into the mattress and then layer on the batting and top. There might be some overhang. In this case, I would probably work from one side toward the center, pinning, etc. The roll the completed edge for 15" or so, and then pull/lift the unpinned side onto the mattress.

When I lived in DC, I had a large padded table (5' x 9')which I called my drapery table wherein I made everything custom for the home for other folks, of course. It is up on horses. I still have this "big" table and many of my quilting friends call and ask to use it to baste a quilt. When two or three of us get together, we can baste a quilt rather quickly and enjoy the time just being in each others company.

I live in Central PA. Anyone want to schedule the "big table"? You are all welcome. The more the merrier.

Suzanne

mar32428 12-09-2007 05:33 AM

Boy, does that bring back memories of the times I used to help my grandmother hang her lace curtains on the frame and how many times I stuck my fingers. Ah, memories!