Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Taught myself a lesson the hard way (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/taught-myself-lesson-hard-way-t259143.html)

Ruby the Quilter 01-03-2015 09:01 PM

Hope the new foot isn't too expensive. I was able to sand off a rough place that the needle hit and keep using the foot.

earthwalker 01-03-2015 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 (Post 7032817)
I have forgotten to change by stitch plate from single hole then tried to zigzag. That does not work well! After that I put a couple of small sticky notes on my machine to change the plate. So far, that has worked :).

You are not alone!

JustAbitCrazy 01-04-2015 05:37 AM

I did that about a week ago when I forgot to change out my needle plate to the zigzag plate. Broken needle and gouged plate were the only consequences.

romanojg 01-04-2015 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7032753)
My Viking has a setting that you select when you use a foot with a small needle hole or the single hole plate. It won't let you select a zig zag type stitch, or move the needle position. Works really well, of course you have to actually remember to set it...

I keep this one checked on my Diamond Deluxe, saves in the long run.

Sewnoma 01-04-2015 07:29 AM

Oh man, I've done that more times than I care to admit!! And when it happens I always feel SO stupid that I've done it again but it's just one of those things I can't seem to remember. Thankfully my machine is (so far) unharmed by my lack of attention.

One time I even heard a "click" as a bit of needle shrapnel hit my eyeglasses. Never thought I'd be grateful that I have to wear glasses but now I am!

Kitsie 01-04-2015 10:09 AM

Does your Pfaff not have the option to warn you when you turn it on that you will only be able to straight stitch? I know the newer ones do.

Panchita 01-04-2015 01:03 PM

I had one auspicious occasion when I did that 3 times in a row. Changed stitch, forgot to change setting, broke needle. Carefully changed needle. Forgot hadn't changed setting. Broke second needle. Lather, rinse, repeat. Didn't even move from my chair.

Broke all 3 needles (metal foot so no harm there). I'd say I don't know what was going through my head, but I'm afraid the answer would be 'nothing'!

I did figure it out eventually...

Krisb 01-04-2015 04:50 PM

And I once used the wrong applique foot (fit another machine). It didn't extend over the needle screw and so never came up when the needle was raised. Thread painted most of a small wall hanging before I noticed. This did involve considerable physical effort as well as many exclamations to the effect of "Why is this fabric so **** hard to move?

Leslie333 01-04-2015 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 7033473)
Does your Pfaff not have the option to warn you when you turn it on that you will only be able to straight stitch? I know the newer ones do.

If I had the straight stitch needle plate in it would, but I had the regular needle plate in since I was doing a wide stitch. Mentally moved to a straight stitch and changed the foot, but my fingers just didn't follow along with my mental stitch change!

paoberle 01-05-2015 03:58 AM

I just did the same thing a few weeks ago, on,y I had a metal foot on my machine. The needle broke, with pieces flying. One piece grazed my cheek. I wear glasses so thankfully my eyes had some protection. It could have been really bad.