Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Taught myself a lesson the hard way (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/taught-myself-lesson-hard-way-t259143.html)

Linda1 01-05-2015 04:30 AM

Been there. Done that. lol

MaggieLou 01-05-2015 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 (Post 7032817)
I have forgotten to change by stitch plate from single hole then tried to zigzag. That does not work well! After that I put a couple of small sticky notes on my machine to change the plate. So far, that has worked :).

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has done that. Thankfully no harm done but certainly made me feel stupid. lol

MargeD 01-05-2015 08:59 AM

Join the club, although when I've switched to a zig zag stitch when I still have my 1/4" foot on, which is metal by the way, I usually just break the needle and have to put a new one in. Just a Sr. Moment for an Old Timer.

dee1245 01-05-2015 09:45 AM

I jammed my Singer Quantum on the Curve Master foot; now I think it messed up the timing because the stitches look like it is set on zero. They only way th stretch the stitches is to override and then it only does a small stitch and it pulls right out. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without having to take it for repair. Cannot afford another $100 to have it looked at.

PatchesPal 01-05-2015 01:49 PM

We have all done that and also not changing the plate to one with a larger hole when changing a foot. My new Pfaff will tell me to change the plate. We need all he help we can get. Glad I wasn't your finer.........

nancia 01-05-2015 07:53 PM

oh, yes! i did this at my friend's house, twice, . i felt sooooooo dumb!

matraina 01-05-2015 08:01 PM

Can't tell you how many times I've done that. Presser foot was not plastic so it did not break. It took 2-3 times before I realized why the needles were breaking!

cathyvv 01-05-2015 08:16 PM

I have been there and done that. It took me 3 tries to realize what the problem was, though, so you are a fast learner compared to me!

ploverwi2 01-05-2015 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie333 (Post 7032616)
I know to always check that the stitch I'm doing is compatible with the foot I have on the machine. Really, I do. For whatever reason I switched from a wide stitch pattern to my stitch in the ditch foot on my Pfaff and started sewing. Smack goes the needle into the plastic of the clear foot! Then the machine froze up. I got that worked out, and knew I needed to change my needle, but the worse news was that it cracked the plastic on the foot and it broke. :( Pricey little mistake. The only positive is that my LQS is having a special event night for their best customers (read, spent too much at the store!) in another week and they will have a percentage off for us that night. Figured if I posted this it may make someone else think twice and prevent them from doing the same thing.

I did even worse. I forgot to switch the metal plate back to the wide stitch one. I not only broke the needle, but I bent the needle bar to the tune of over a hundred dollars. You bet I learned.

ManiacQuilter2 01-06-2015 07:17 AM

Yes, Tartan is correct. I have done the same thing with my Bernina and have broken more needles than I care to admit to.