Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teaching myself FMQ with Stencils - pictures added (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teaching-myself-fmq-stencils-pictures-added-t162515.html)

kathy 10-23-2011 05:08 AM

you should not use a permanant ink the thread can soak it up as you stitch

QuiltE 10-23-2011 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I buy water soulable interfacing to trace my quilting patterns. Washes away when I wash the quilt.Buy it at JAs

Have never heard of this ... anyone know if we have it here in Canada?

DebsShelties 10-23-2011 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by kathy

Even if you let the ink dry completely before attaching to the quilt? I have not had any problems with the thread becoming colored, I let it dry completely and test by rubbing to see if it is first. The foam board for tracing is in case the ink soaks thru the paper, it hasn't.

Xstitshmom 10-23-2011 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties

Originally Posted by kathy

Even if you let the ink dry completely before attaching to the quilt? I have not had any problems with the thread becoming colored, I let it dry completely and test by rubbing to see if it is first. The foam board for tracing is in case the ink soaks thru the paper, it hasn't.

I have a friend who has experimented with those washable crayon markers just in case -- so far though she hasn't had any problem with the ink going onto the quilt.

Bobbinchick 10-23-2011 08:11 AM

I have a roll of that paper also, but never thought of pinning it ot a quilt. I just use it for making my stencils, now I need to give this a try. Hugggies, Fay

Dolphyngyrl 10-23-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by DebsShelties

Originally Posted by carolaug
Do the stitches get loose when you pull off the paper?

Sometimes, I try to be careful when pulling the paper off.

YIKES! after doing that work, I wouldn't want to pull the thread loose!

Are you perforating the paper witrh an empty needle before sewing it to your project, it makes a difference

carolaug 10-23-2011 12:34 PM

Now this sounds interesting!

Originally Posted by paulswalia

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I buy water soulable interfacing to trace my quilting patterns. Washes away when I wash the quilt.Buy it at JAs

This has become my favorite method lately. Works like a charm!

LivelyLady 10-23-2011 03:19 PM

Instead of stencils I trace designs I like on white tissue paper with pencil and if I find a spot that's hard to get out of the stitches I spritz a little water and rub it with my finger. Works well for me and the price is right :-D

ncredbird 10-24-2011 03:21 AM

You can do the same procedure that you are using with sewing the design without thread to perforate. Instead of sewing over it use it as a stencil. Lay it on your quilt where you want the design, pounce chalk or baby powder over it, working it into the holes and you have a reusable stencil.
I have also traced onto press n seal. It is like saran wrap but tacky. It sticks to most anything and is repositionable. You can see through it and it tears out very easily. Ann in TN

GGJudy 10-24-2011 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
I have also traced onto press n seal. It is like saran wrap but tacky. It sticks to most anything and is repositionable. You can see through it and it tears out very easily. Ann in TN

Press and seal? That sounds like a great idea. Going to try that one. Thanks.