Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teaching myself FMQ with Stencils - pictures added (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teaching-myself-fmq-stencils-pictures-added-t162515.html)

New knee 10-24-2011 08:33 AM

I use "Press and Seal" paper (from the grocery store). It clings to the quilt to mark on it and while quilting. Not too bad to peel off when finished.

Mona Lisa 2011 10-24-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties

Originally Posted by carolaug
Do the stitches get loose when you pull off the paper?

Sometimes, I try to be careful when pulling the paper off.

use a shorter stitch.........

Shoofly1 10-24-2011 08:54 AM

Thanks for the great idea!

GGJudy 10-24-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by MissJMac

Originally Posted by QuiltE

At a quilt meeting a month ago, stencils were shown, how to use etc. One method was to trace onto paper (a wax type) then sew on the lines. I have been doing that. When I trace the stencil, I use a foam board and sharpies - keeps the ink on the paper.
Something new for me, I am enjoying getting new stencils for later projects.

The kind of waxed paper I use here ... Sharpies would not mark on, nor most anything. What are you using?

It should work if you draw on the dull side of the wax paper, that's what I do and it works fine.

Are you referring to freezer paper that has one side waxed and the other side dull? All of my waxed paper seems to be the same on both sides. (as in cutrite waxed paper)

Anna.425 10-24-2011 08:57 AM

Perforating with a needle takes a long time. I use an "old fashioned" tracing wheel to perforate the paper. It is quick and works well.

lindy-2 10-24-2011 09:15 AM

yes we have it here fabricland has it but its a bit expensive i used it to stablize mt sisters wedding vail when i was embroydering on it.

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I buy water soulable interfacing to trace my quilting patterns. Washes away when I wash the quilt.Buy it at JAs

Have never heard of this ... anyone know if we have it here in Canada?

Tweety2911 10-24-2011 09:18 AM

I use Golden Threads or white tracing paper on a roll and copy my stencil onto it. FMQ on the lines and then just tear the paper away. Have used this on my DSM for years and very happy with results.

Love2sew 10-24-2011 09:36 AM

Thank you for sharing I try it.

MissJMac 10-24-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by GGJudy

Originally Posted by MissJMac

At a quilt meeting a month ago, stencils were shown, how to use etc. One method was to trace onto paper (a wax type) then sew on the lines. I have been doing that. When I trace the stencil, I use a foam board and sharpies - keeps the ink on the paper.
Something new for me, I am enjoying getting new stencils for later projects.

The kind of waxed paper I use here ... Sharpies would not mark on, nor most anything. What are you using?

It should work if you draw on the dull side of the wax paper, that's what I do and it works fine.

Are you referring to freezer paper that has one side waxed and the other side dull? All of my waxed paper seems to be the same on both sides. (as in cutrite waxed paper)

OOPS!!!, I'm sorry Judy. I'm looking at my Reynolds Cut-rite and it IS waxed on both sides. Don't know what I was thinking about. Let's chalk it up to a 72 yr old tired brain and bad eysight:>)
However, I do use it to trace (using a black Sharpie and it works. I pin the paper to the fabric and set the stitch length on "0" which makes the paper tear away easily.

madamekelly 10-24-2011 10:57 AM

Here are a couple of pics

Oh, O, Pattern paper! :idea:
Now I understand. Great idea! :lol: