Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tearing fabric to straighten it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tearing-fabric-straighten-t297474.html)

Jingle 06-08-2018 02:59 PM

To find straight of grain pull a thread under you can pull it the length of your piece of fabric. It has no givr if straight of grain. I was taught this in Home Ec. years ago.

Kassaundra 06-08-2018 03:01 PM

I do not usually tear fabric (but have sometimes) if I need true straight of grain I usually pull a thread, much more time consuming but don't "stretch" anything and can use more of the fabric.

wishfulthinking 06-08-2018 03:20 PM

Ok, so pulling the thread gets the same result as ripping, but without the distortion? I've done both, but have too admit I enjoy ripping! On the other hand, I abhor fabric waste. Will try to take the time for thread pulling in the future.

bearisgray 06-08-2018 04:10 PM

I sometimes pull a thread - but I get frustrated when the thread breaks before i get all the way across the width.

oksewglad 06-08-2018 04:23 PM

At the LQS I work at we tear all our wide backing fabric...too many times owner ended up short when the fabric was cut. Tearing puts the fabric straight on grain, an essential to LA quilting.

To avoid distortion, a pulled thread on regular width fabric works well, as mentioned earlier.

Genden 06-08-2018 04:31 PM

I pull a thread. The thread always breaks a couple of times, but I cut up to where the thread broke and sometimes find the end, but if not the next thread works fine. I agree that there is a gleeful satisfaction in tearing, but probably not good for the fabric.

Irishrose2 06-08-2018 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by annievee (Post 8072960)
I tear fabric when making pillowcases--need to work on grain so the case will not 'roll' after laundry.

Thank you for the reminder. I ordered fabric for graduation gift pillowcases last evening.

Quiltlady330 06-08-2018 05:18 PM

Some fabric is so horribly crooked there is nothing you can do to find the straight of the grain without losing a lot of fabric. Very disappointing sometimes. These are mostly stamped designs and not woven.

HettyB 06-08-2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 8072970)
To find straight of grain pull a thread under you can pull it the length of your piece of fabric. It has no givr if straight of grain. I was taught this in Home Ec. years ago.

When I used to work in a professional textile restoration studio we did this. We would pull about three wefts and then cut along. A bit time consuming, but backing and supporting fabrics had to be on grain.

HettyB

Moira in N.E. England 06-09-2018 12:24 AM

I don’t know if it’s just my imagination but I seem to remember at one time fabric was always torn by staff in fabric shops.

Now I’ve noticed that when I buy from a general fabric shop the fabric will be cut with scissors or rotary cutter - and is rarely straight. As I tend to buy small pieces - sometimes just half or quarter yard/metre this can be very frustrating. Occasionally the assistant will give a generous measurement, knowing that they are not cutting straight, but not always.

However, when I buy from a quilting fabric shop it’s a very different experience. One (pricey) shop I sometimes go to sells fabric by the inch. It is very carefully measured and cut using a rotary cutter and ruler.