Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tearing fabric to straighten it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tearing-fabric-straighten-t297474.html)

retiredteacher09 06-09-2018 12:33 PM

Today I went to a meeting where I volunteer and I was asking what tasks needed to be done when my church sends middle-schoolers to volunteer a few times this summer. As I was verifying if the group still tore the flannel for receiving blankets ( did for a while, then cut instead for a while-different leaders and different ideas), I was told they still do tear. So I verified the width and length and the gal asked me if I knew about tearing the end of the flannel to straighten it before I started to cut the 30'' squares. I looked at her and asked her to explain. She said to tear down the length of the bolt and then snip a little bit at the beginning of that length and then tear across the width to make all of the cuts straight further down the line. I looked at her and said ok but told her I was confused. We both smiled so now I need to do one more step. We would sometimes tug on the flannel like described above to get it straight. It has something to do with the flannel curling after washing the receiving blankets which are only one layer.

bearisgray 06-09-2018 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 (Post 8073530)
Today I went to a meeting where I volunteer and I was asking what tasks needed to be done when my church sends middle-schoolers to volunteer a few times this summer. As I was verifying if the group still tore the flannel for receiving blankets ( did for a while, then cut instead for a while-different leaders and different ideas), I was told they still do tear. So I verified the width and length and the gal asked me if I knew about tearing the end of the flannel to straighten it before I started to cut the 30'' squares. I looked at her and asked her to explain. She said to tear down the length of the bolt and then snip a little bit at the beginning of that length and then tear across the width to make all of the cuts straight further down the line. I looked at her and said ok but told her I was confused. We both smiled so now I need to do one more step. We would sometimes tug on the flannel like described above to get it straight. It has something to do with the flannel curling after washing the receiving blankets which are only one layer.

If they are cut on-grain, and hemmed, (or the edges serged) why would they curl?

retiredteacher09 06-09-2018 04:26 PM

bearisgray: They are serged so I don't know why either. :) I will ask that question the next time I see the leader that commented on it. She wasn't at the meeting today.

Jeanette Frantz 06-09-2018 04:39 PM

There are a lot of things I used to do that I won't do now -- it's a difference in methods used by manufacturers -- sometimes better than 'in the old days', sometimes not! I think it's just as important (maybe more so) for quilt fabric to be straight as it is for garment fabric. The difference is that you can be working with much larger pieces of fabric which makes it harder to work with.

Whether the receiving blankets roll or not may depend upon the type of "serging" that is done -- I've used a serger stitch with two spools of "wooly nylon" which is a much narrower stitch than standard serger stitches. In my case, the fabric was upholstery fabric and did not roll, but in a lighter-weight fabric, such as flannel, it would roll -- I'm no expert -- have just experienced some of this stuff!

sewbizgirl 06-09-2018 04:58 PM

I tear a lot of fabric... and then press the edge right back into shape.

As for finding the straight grain: Can't you see the grain in your fabric? I can always find it and orient my pattern pieces in line with it.

If fabric seems skewed, such as with panels, just pull hard on the bias to get it back in place. It works. Then iron.

ctrysass2012 06-09-2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 8072930)
OK, this is probably just my imagination, but it seems as though there is less collateral damage if I tear the fabric really fast. If I go slowly, it appears that there's more of a ruffled edge.

I have found the same thing. Wide backs I tear fast as far as possible & continue that way. It is all so very satisfying if you are frustrated about something.

janjanq 06-10-2018 04:09 AM

After ripping the fabric edge I then use my rotary cutter and ruler to cut off another half inch to cut off the fray which enables me to start with a nice crisp edge.

tuckyquilter 06-10-2018 08:36 AM

IF you are looking for the "straight of grain" on the fabric, you can snip a piece and PULL A Thread. This will tell you where to cut. If a fabric looks really off I'll do this. Yes, sometimes, like tearing one end is much larger than another, as it' how they make it now. Digital prints are the worst.

Remember most fabrics are made in a foreign country by workers who don't care about quality. NOTHING is done well as in past times. I also find that I have to really watch things if I'm using a digital print as they are really stretchy - EVEN if they "claim" to be 100% Cotton. I now either starch the heck out of them or press a very thin stabilizer on the back.
Good news is we're not "YET" paying $25-$30 a yard for this same lower quality as many quilters in other country's are paying.

Irishrose2 06-10-2018 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter (Post 8073946)
IF you are looking for the "straight of grain" on the fabric, you can snip a piece and PULL A Thread. This will tell you where to cut. If a fabric looks really off I'll do this. Yes, sometimes, like tearing one end is much larger than another, as it' how they make it now. Digital prints are the worst.

Remember most fabrics are made in a foreign country by workers who don't care about quality. NOTHING is done well as in past times. I also find that I have to really watch things if I'm using a digital print as they are really stretchy - EVEN if they "claim" to be 100% Cotton. I now either starch the heck out of them or press a very thin stabilizer on the back.
Good news is we're not "YET" paying $25-$30 a yard for this same lower quality as many quilters in other country's are paying.

My horse panel I'm working with now is a digital print and it's perfect. (Northcutt)

bearisgray 06-10-2018 10:00 AM

What are digital prints? what are "other" prints? How are they different from each other?