Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tears of Joy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tears-joy-t110389.html)

noreeli 03-27-2011 08:19 AM

I would love to help out, and send an envelope to the children. Please pm me the address as to where to send. God bless you all!!! :D

Dottie Bug 03-27-2011 06:30 PM

would love to help ,Dottie Bug

TonnieLoree 03-27-2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by dpparris
This Quilting Board is Awesome.

I work with children before and after school doing Arts & Crafts, and one day I took a quilt I was working on for them to see and several children asked me if I would show them how to sew so they could make a quilt. I talked my boss into getting us a sewing machine, and I took one of mine from home and they started learning to sew. Well now we have 4 machines and still don’t have enough. The children are making pillows and quilts faster than I can get the batting and material for the back. They are just tie them, but some want to learn to hand quilt, so I guess that is next on the list.
I would like to thank two special ladies on the forum, mommamac for sending me the book Quilting with Kids – I took it to work and the children have gone crazy making all the things in the book, they tell everyone I learned how to make this from the book from Mrs. Mac in Maine.
Then today in the mail I got a fabric donation from crowley7, I can’t wait to get to work tomorrow to show the children all the new material they have to make quilts with. I guess she will be known as Mrs. Crowley from Massachusetts.
I only have a small budget each month to purchase supplies for both the Arts & Crafts and Sewing, so I take a lot of material from home to work. These donations mean a lot to not only me but the children.
I cried over getting the book and now the fabric. They were tears of Joy.
I have learned so much since I have been on this forum, all of you are the most AWESOME Quilters and friends a person (and 130 children) can have.

We are having a mini quilt show April 6, I will take some pictures of the children's quilts and pillows and post them.

Thanks Again!!!

My efforts seem so small in comparison. :-) Bravo to you for teaching these kids. It's wonderful just how creative they can be if someone puts forth the effort. Blessings to those that have donated to you and your class.

Dolphyngyrl 03-27-2011 08:29 PM

This is how quilting will live on, teach them young. Keeping the passion alive. Bless your little heart

starshine 03-29-2011 05:19 AM

It is wonderful how you teach them--by asking them to come up with ideas is great for development of creativity and critical thinking-things that need to be experienced to learn. I think it is a great idea to use this experience to integrate things like geography too. We already know that there will be math used. ;-) You might have them before and after school but I expect that the things they are learning from you are going to help them so much in their education.

charity-crafter 03-29-2011 05:33 AM

It's amazing you have the patience to do this also. I tried to teach some 12 year olds and that got old fast. I called it 'short attention span' sewing. They couldn't understand "no, you can't finish a quilt for you mother in 1 afternoon."

I would have to have all the pieces cut out and they all had to be identical because they would argue about which kit they got. We made a tote bag, a pillow and a tissue cover in the few months we sewed together. We started a railfence quilt for charity but I had to finish it becuase they lost interest.

They all had different brands of sewing manchines, some old some new, no instruction manuals. and they never sewed except when they came to visit me. Then I was expected to know how to work their machines, fine tune stitches ect.
I eventually gave up.

Yes, I support anyone with the patience to teach children. I'll have to keep reading to see what your needs are so you don't get a lot of unwanted stuff.

genevieve 04-01-2011 06:52 PM

Sweetie, You are amazing for what you are doing but we need your ADDRESS. I will send batting, scissors, thread, fabric,pins, marking pens etc.

Barbshobbies 04-04-2011 07:05 PM

I too.worked with special needs students. I put up my quilt sticks, showed them how I placed the batting, we just put a sheet for out top. They were a thrilled to be helping. we did use a plyers to pull the needle thru for some that needed help.It was displayed in the school hall for years.

Jagsd3 04-05-2011 06:27 AM

Debbie,

Letting you know I am on my way to the Post office with a med rate box on it's way. You are such a BLESSING as are all these young ones!!!

My thanks goes out to you......

jdavis 04-10-2011 07:05 AM

Wonderful story! Keep up the great work! I wish I could help you out with a donation....maybe someday! Looking forward to the pictures!