Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teflon slider (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teflon-slider-t120606.html)

Mona Lisa 2011 05-03-2011 03:34 PM

Has anyone used one of those teflon sliders for FMQ?
I don't have any trouble doing FMQ with my practice squares, but when I have a whole quilt under the needle I can't get good free motion. I tried using the shinny side of freezer paper on my machine bed, but that didn't work either. So I thought maybe I should break down and get a "slider". First I wanted to know before putting out all those bucks if they really work.

suern3 05-03-2011 03:37 PM

I have a slider and it makes such a difference when FMQing. Much smoother sewing and less stress on hands and arms. Go for it!

TonnieLoree 05-03-2011 03:44 PM

Are you using quilting or gardening gloves when you FMQ? I have an issue with the price of the teflon mat. I just wonder if you couldn't use a sheet of template plastic and cut the hole for the feed dogs. Even Leah says you might need to tape the edges down on the product she is selling. I got a huge piece of the plastic at my LQS for less than $4.00, but it is intended for templates when I get around to it.

tupoms 05-03-2011 03:45 PM

I have a slider & when I purchased my longarm quilter I put it away. I put it back on immediately because it is so helpful when sewing any large piece. I actually placed it on the sewing table to the left of the machine to keep my quilt from hanging up while putting on the binding. So, yes, I would recommend it for FMQ.

ava

Mona Lisa 2011 05-03-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Are you using quilting or gardening gloves when you FMQ? I have an issue with the price of the teflon mat. I just wonder if you couldn't use a sheet of template plastic and cut the hole for the feed dogs. Even Leah says you might need to tape the edges down on the product she is selling. I got a huge piece of the plastic at my LQS for less than $4.00, but it is intended for templates when I get around to it.

I can't stand to use gloves, so I use what are called "BATS". Just love them to pieces. When I have to leave my quilting, I just take my hands off the "BATS". No gloves to struggles off and on with. My Singer machine has a drop-in bobbin that you refill in place. No fussing removing and replacing bobbins.

nativetexan 05-03-2011 04:07 PM

i got the supreme slider. i used it some but took it off. my quilt kept getting caught on the edge and trying to fold it over. i was afraid i'd end up stitching through it one day.
but then, i've been sort of frustrated and even took off my acrylic table extender and just work with my machine like old times now.

hopetoquilt 05-03-2011 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
i got the supreme slider. i used it some but took it off. my quilt kept getting caught on the edge and trying to fold it over. i was afraid i'd end up stitching through it one day.
but then, i've been sort of frustrated and even took off my acrylic table extender and just work with my machine like old times now.

on a video, the instructor said that taping down the slider may be necessary. I want to buy the slider and I may use painter's tape to hold it down

AliKat 05-03-2011 04:12 PM

I only used the Slider sometimes. It depends on the size of what I am working on. If it is really large then, Yes, I use the Slider.

I have used the quilting gloves and also the finger quilting grips in the past. I have tried the Halo and that U shaped quilting gripper. Now that my arthritis has progressed I don't use these anymore. I bought the Fabulous Fabric Glider and love it as I can actually hold it lightly and it works so well.

ali

carolaug 05-03-2011 04:24 PM

I ordered the supreme slider from my dealer...I like the blue painters tape idea!!! I will have to try that once I get it...

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt

Originally Posted by nativetexan

on a video, the instructor said that taping down the slider may be necessary. I want to buy the slider and I may use painter's tape to hold it down

Az Quilter 05-03-2011 04:29 PM

I have a Supreme Slider and I think it makes a huge difference when FMQing. If I forget to put it on, I know it as soon as I start to quilt!