Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Teflon slider

Has anyone used one of those teflon sliders for FMQ?
    I don't have any trouble doing FMQ with my practice squares, but when I have a whole quilt under the needle I can't get good free motion. I tried using the shinny side of freezer paper on my machine bed, but that didn't work either. So I thought maybe I should break down and get a "slider". First I wanted to know before putting out all those bucks if they really work.

I have a slider and it makes such a difference when FMQing. Much smoother sewing and less stress on hands and arms. Go for it!

Are you using quilting or gardening gloves when you FMQ? I have an issue with the price of the teflon mat. I just wonder if you couldn't use a sheet of template plastic and cut the hole for the feed dogs. Even Leah says you might need to tape the edges down on the product she is selling. I got a huge piece of the plastic at my LQS for less than $4.00, but it is intended for templates when I get around to it.

I have a slider & when I purchased my longarm quilter I put it away. I put it back on immediately because it is so helpful when sewing any large piece. I actually placed it on the sewing table to the left of the machine to keep my quilt from hanging up while putting on the binding. So, yes, I would recommend it for FMQ.

ava

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Are you using quilting or gardening gloves when you FMQ? I have an issue with the price of the teflon mat. I just wonder if you couldn't use a sheet of template plastic and cut the hole for the feed dogs. Even Leah says you might need to tape the edges down on the product she is selling. I got a huge piece of the plastic at my LQS for less than $4.00, but it is intended for templates when I get around to it.
    I can't stand to use gloves, so I use what are called "BATS". Just love them to pieces. When I have to leave my quilting, I just take my hands off the "BATS". No gloves to struggles off and on with. My Singer machine has a drop-in bobbin that you refill in place. No fussing removing and replacing bobbins.

Blog Entries
    i got the supreme slider. i used it some but took it off. my quilt kept getting caught on the edge and trying to fold it over. i was afraid i'd end up stitching through it one day.
    but then, i've been sort of frustrated and even took off my acrylic table extender and just work with my machine like old times now.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    i got the supreme slider. i used it some but took it off. my quilt kept getting caught on the edge and trying to fold it over. i was afraid i'd end up stitching through it one day.
    but then, i've been sort of frustrated and even took off my acrylic table extender and just work with my machine like old times now.
    on a video, the instructor said that taping down the slider may be necessary. I want to buy the slider and I may use painter's tape to hold it down

I only used the Slider sometimes. It depends on the size of what I am working on. If it is really large then, Yes, I use the Slider.

I have used the quilting gloves and also the finger quilting grips in the past. I have tried the Halo and that U shaped quilting gripper. Now that my arthritis has progressed I don't use these anymore. I bought the Fabulous Fabric Glider and love it as I can actually hold it lightly and it works so well.

ali

Blog Entries
    I ordered the supreme slider from my dealer...I like the blue painters tape idea!!! I will have to try that once I get it...
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    on a video, the instructor said that taping down the slider may be necessary. I want to buy the slider and I may use painter's tape to hold it down

I have a Supreme Slider and I think it makes a huge difference when FMQing. If I forget to put it on, I know it as soon as I start to quilt!

I use car wax paste to polish my quilting space, machine bed and table. Works great !! I did buy free motion sheet and just couldn't make it work.

I love my slider. Worth every penny!

What are "BATS"? Sounds interesting.

I don't have the slider, but what I have used is the teflon ironing sheet for applique. I just cut a hole where I want it and because it flexible, its easy to tape down.

I have the Supreme slider and it really helps. I would tape it down if you have problems with it curling up. I also had the quilting gloves but never used them until today. For me they really helped. I have been struggling with fmq and finally after watching a bunch of on-line videos got the hang of it today! Smiling at long last while practising my FMQ.
    Kat

Banned
    There was a similar thread to this a couple of months ago where some quilters said they bought the flexible teflon mats you get at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Apparently you get two in the package and it's much cheaper than the Supreme Slider and works just as well. I keep meaning to get them and see how they work.

I love mine and use it for making drapes/curtains as well. Anything heavy basically. And the gloves make a world of difference also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneG
    There was a similar thread to this a couple of months ago where some quilters said they bought the flexible teflon mats you get at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Apparently you get two in the package and it's much cheaper than the Supreme Slider and works just as well. I keep meaning to get them and see how they work.
    I also read this post and am planning to get the mat at Bed, Bath & Beyond tomorrow on my way to JoAnn's to use my 20% senior discount. Someone on that thread suggested using your coupon for 20% off that usually comes in the mail for B,B, & B.

Yellowsnow... love your avatar. Any place on the board that you have posted a bigger photo of it? I would love to see and know how you made those. :-D

Blog Entries
    I watched a quilting video the other day - don't remember the name and didn't bookmark the site. But she uses a silicone sewing spray to make the bed of the machine slippery. I saw some in Hancock last week so it seems to be readily available. Didn't get any cause my super slider seems to be working pretty well for me.

Why not try the clear vinyl that was suggested in the last issue of this message board? It is worth trying the cheaper option before making the big outlay. One of my quilting books suggests spraying the surface with silicone spray and wiping it over the bed of the machine first - I've not tried this.

Quote Originally Posted by Az Quilter
    I have a Supreme Slider and I think it makes a huge difference when FMQing. If I forget to put it on, I know it as soon as I start to quilt!
    I agree!
    I also use the slider for machine applique. The piece I'm working on moves easily under the needle.

Love the Supreme Slider! Really helps move the quilt to do whatever I want to on it.

I have tired the slider and found it was ok for small stuff but didnt work on large items so i got the heavy table vinyl and love it works great. and covers a large area just remember to tape it down aroung the machinenear the plate Deb

I'm glad you asked that. I'll be watching for the answer, too.

I tried the slider an sewed through it. I got the table vinyl and thought it actually made the fabric harder to move around. I use a 1926 Singer set in a cabinet and the wood was more slippy (is that a word? LOL) than the vinyl.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast