Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teflon Baking Sheet for a Slider Tip

Teflon Baking Sheet for a Slider Tip

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I guess it's about tricking out your sewing space, so I chose here. If you like FMQ and use a slider… this is a cheaper way to get a huge slider I have always had to tape down my supreme slider anyways… so no biggie there. This is WAYYYY bigger and cost about $8.00 and free shipping on Amazon. I just cut a small hole in the right spot for my needle area.
    Name:  IMG_1129.JPG
Views: 3108
Size:  73.5 KB

i have read about this idea. have the smaller slider ..it is a hassle to use, so don't. now i have a larger janome w lucite extension table ..looks like i will be getting a teflon baking sheet soon too lol! thanks for the pic...finally convinced me.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I love the sliders… why was it a pain for you to use?

I Love these I did a year ago purchase a Supreme Slider but WOW they are expensive and I found these on Amazon and bought two for 8 each they work Great!!
    Your signature ID: 54489-296-2CF6E9BBE4DB9B078ACCB9FB17BC3416

Quote Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    I have the larger supreme slider but I always have to tape it down and it was very expensive. I'm moving in a few weeks and I think when I do my new sewing room setup that I'll give the teflon sheets a try.
    Pat

Did you order the Eksel BBQ Grill mats?? It appears to be the closest to your picture.

I originally got mine at the Dollar Store. Got the bright idea to spray the edges with tacky craft glue and stuck it down. Worked really good for several months, maybe a year or more. Then I needed to remove it and boy was that a mess. Worked hours to remove the sticky residue. lol Now I bought one at the kitchen supply outlet and it's large enough to cut in half so I can use on both machines. These work really well but I've found that waxing the bed of my machines with car wax works nearly as good for fmq.

Sandee in MO

Great idea! Thanks for the tip!!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

I have a question...did the sheet "fray" with rough edges where you cut it, and ok, I guess I should say 2 questions, what did you cut it with? This is such a neat idea.Thanks for sharing.

not sure, maybe i'm not taping it secure enough, maybe it's too light for the weight of larger quilts & they catch & eventually dislodge the tape. not sure ..i just quit arguing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sassysews2 View Post
    I originally got mine at the Dollar Store. Got the bright idea to spray the edges with tacky craft glue and stuck it down. Worked really good for several months, maybe a year or more. Then I needed to remove it and boy was that a mess. Worked hours to remove the sticky residue. lol Now I bought one at the kitchen supply outlet and it's large enough to cut in half so I can use on both machines. These work really well but I've found that waxing the bed of my machines with car wax works nearly as good for fmq.

Sandee in MO
    car wax!! great idea. when i started fmq on domestic years ago, i read about wadded up sheet of wax paper rubbed over machine bed. works great too, did it for uears before i tried the supreme slider. most recent little fmq project was a pillow top. just wouldn't move. tried wax paper again. nope. then realized that my wonderful new to me pfaff (90's techtronic) has a slightly pebbled textured surface. won't use it for fmq again. even for a pillow it will be worth the time to haul out & find room for the larger janome.

Jitterbug, no it didn't fray. I cut it with really small embroidery type snips.

Jitterbug, no it didn't fray. I cut it with really small embroidery type snips.
    Thanks so much for the reply.I'm happy to know this and I really love this idea and can't wait to get mine to try. Have a great day.

I use silicone spry and every thing slides. I just spray lightly all over the area where I need it. Works like a charm.
    MaryB

I use the teflon baking sheet. Bought one and cut it in half. I tape it down with paper tape and remove it when I don't need it or am sewing something else. The tape doesn't leave any residue. It was very cheap to buy and covers a large area and makes a tremendous difference in move the quilt for FMQ. Love it!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip!

Holy cow! I cannot wait to try this. My super slider has developed a curl, and is becoming a problem. This is such a great solution. Thank you!

No, the Teflon sheets did not fray when cut but the edges curled from use when I used double sided tape. Then I taped them down with narrow strips of duct tape and that worked. Paper scissors worked find for cutting.

Sandee in MO

Vitality, thank you so much for sharing this and also posting where to order them. Just ordered mine and can't wait to receive them. Will now be holding off on quilting the quilt I have ready until they arrive!

thanks for the tip. should save some money with this.

Blog Entries
    Hey you guys, get the teflon thingies that go on the floor of the oven. Just tape it onto the machine bed and it works like a charm. I promise, I use it on 3 of my machines. Plus ya only have a tiny little bitty piece to use and its re useable. Plus ya still have a bunch to use in the oven.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

I have these too! I bought four of them so almost my entire sewing surface is covered. I taped mine down with Gorilla tape - like duct tape but black (so it blends in) and it's semi-slippy so it doesn't ruin the effect.

Love those things!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting where to buy. I just now put my order in. I will get them this coming Monday, am very excited!
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Blog Entries
    I had the supreme slider. It slid and I sewed it to my project.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast