Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell Me Why?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-why-t120459.html)

eashka 05-03-2011 05:11 AM

No the featherweights are not fads. They are perfect little machines that sew a perfect straight line and rarely ever break down. Perfect weight to take to class and retreats. Everyone that I talk to either wants one or has one. Most of us have more than one. Sew on one and you will be hooked, too.

CarrieAnne 05-03-2011 05:24 AM

Plus, they are so DARN cute!

pollyjvan9 05-03-2011 05:40 AM

Riversong, I'm with you. I have the thread cutter on the foot pedal on my Juki and really, really miss that feature when I change over to the Baby Lock Ellegante! And, you know what, I lifted one of a friends Featherweights and it wasn't that lightweight! Really cute to look at though. I have a 25 year old Bernina that still sews like a charm that I use sometimes at the lake.

ckcowl 05-03-2011 07:27 AM

i love my fancy- computerized machine with all the bells and whistles---
but---
it does weigh a bit- and i hate lugging it around- kind of feel like the more often i carry it out to the car the more chances of something (expensive) happening to it.
a featherweight is a wonderful little work horse...they are lightweight (12 pounds) a very good basic machine that stitches beautifully and will hold up for years (generations)
i'm fairly sure my (bells and whistles) machine will at some point be obsolete- and will have to do upgrades just like with anything computerized...the featherweights- only need a good cleaning on occassion- and maybe a replaced belt...
for anyone just wanting a second machine to take to classes and have for a backup when the (big machine) is down - you can not go wrong with a featherweight. :thumbup:

Prism99 05-03-2011 08:50 AM

I have a featherweight but use my Bernina for everyday work. I like the bells and whistles on my Bernina, *especially* needle down!

I think a lot of the featherweight thing is nostalgia (wonderful connections to women of past generations). Also, it's just a good feeling to take one to a workshop. I'm sure there's some status associated with having one too. Reality is there are other good lightweight machines that can be taken to workshops.

BellaBoo 05-03-2011 08:55 AM

I have a white FW and it is so cute and makes me happy sewing with it. It is like taking a cute puppy somewhere. Everyone wants to pet it at classes and workshops! I bought it so my DGD will have it and then maybe her DD and so on. Something from me that hopefully will be cherished and used.

greenini 05-03-2011 08:57 AM

Over the years Singer and other manufaturers invented and marketed a lot of accessories. You can buy zig-zaggers, one step buttonholers, wide angle & narrow hemmers, 1/4" feet, blind stitchers & an amazing array of additions. I haven't even begun to play with all my accessories.

They are cute, compact, tidy and fit in a box 13 x 10 x 8. The whole package weighs less then my more modern machines. I do like my needle down and other fancy features, but the FW's have their place, too.

irishrose 05-03-2011 09:44 AM

When machines started to have the zigzag feature, the seams became a little less straight. Sometimes it makes a difference. I love my Elna, but I'm quilting on a Singer 301 for all the reasons the FW people have given. Not as cute, but sews a great seam and being gear driven, will never need a belt replacement. The 301 also FMQs wonderfully which isn't recommended with the FW's smaller motor. We all have our preferences, but mine lie with an all metal machine I can service myself. That being said, I'd like an embroidery machine if the budget allowed.

OKLAHOMA PEACH 05-03-2011 10:23 AM

Bells and whistles are wonderful, but there are items that never should be computerized, mostly on cars. There is a joke about a young girl finding a watch with a windup stem, and she thought it was so neat that she didn't have to buy a battery for it.

Doreen 05-03-2011 10:28 AM

I love my feaherweight. She goes to classes. She is lightweight compared to the machines with all the bells and whistles. I have a Bernina and a Viking but the FW is one of my all time favorites!