Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell Me Why?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-why-t120459.html)

Riversong 05-03-2011 03:29 AM

What is the fascination with Featherweights ?? I think they are cool to look at,but I have spent years longing for a machine with a few bells and whistles,and finally got a nice one.Is it just a thing to look at or do you USE them? I would sure miss my thread cutter and needle down feature!

Lacelady 05-03-2011 03:32 AM

Lightweight and easy to take to workshops - I don't like heaving my Bernina 730E with me, and I don't think it would do it any good either.

Cute (no contest on that one), and easy to maintain myself (brilliant, so no cost). I have a 222 which means I can drop the feed dogs, I also have a zig zagger so I have 4 fancy stitches in addition to a perfect straight stitch, and yes, I use mine to piece with.

DogHouseMom 05-03-2011 03:37 AM

I saw lots in Paducah - both for sale (NOT cheap) and being used. I even got to use one.

They told me they use them at shows because they're so light weight (and they are TINY!!! I didn't realize they were so small).

They also told me they use them at home because nothing sews a better straight line than a FW. That kind of makes sense - the machine was built to do one thing - sew a straight line. It does it flawlessly.

Piecing ... I'd love one. Quilting - no way. Unless it was a minature. These machines are SMALL.

mic-pa 05-03-2011 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Riversong
What is the fascination with Featherweights ?? I think they are cool to look at,but I have spent years longing for a machine with a few bells and whistles,and finally got a nice one.Is it just a thing to look at or do you USE them? I would sure miss my thread cutter and needle down feature!

I'm with you, I like all my bells and whistles.

raedar63 05-03-2011 04:24 AM

A Fad among quilters perhaps? I can see collecting about anything, heck I collect rocks. I see your point some spend literally thousands on a fancy machine and then have to have a featherweight. I am thinking it is the "in thing"

jeaninmaine 05-03-2011 04:28 AM

They're great for piecing, and very easy to maintain. No plastic parts so with care they will last forever. Wonderful to take to a workshop. I love mine.

sueisallaboutquilts 05-03-2011 04:45 AM

Same here. I love mine!! They are addicting- I have several old Singers now. I love how they're made, how they look, sound, etc. The quality is amazing.
However, I do have a Bernina although she's been lonely lately b/c I have so much fun sewing on my old machines!! :D:D

Maia B 05-03-2011 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
A Fad among quilters perhaps? I can see collecting about anything, heck I collect rocks. I see your point some spend literally thousands on a fancy machine and then have to have a featherweight. I am thinking it is the "in thing"

FWs came out in 1933 or 1934, I think, and hundreds of thousands were made. That kind of demand over thirty years of production and the current demand despite less expensive machines with more features certainly speaks to a certain QUALITY. We have been sewing on these little beauties for over 75 years, and they still work fabulously. I love my computerized machines, but I don't expect them to work for 75 years. Fad? I don't think so.

sueisallaboutquilts 05-03-2011 04:47 AM

With the Featherweight you have the portability that is really nice if you want to take it with you. Forgot to add that.

newquilter10 05-03-2011 04:54 AM

I may have to look for a reasonaby priced one. I guess it would be easier to take in the camper for the winter.