Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Template Curiousity (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/template-curiousity-t53345.html)

Bluphrog 07-08-2010 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I did block of the month kind of thing with templates. Well, I started it anyway. It used the Marty whateverherlastname is template sets that one of my girlfriends had. I would borrow them and try some blocks before investing in them. I thought they were a huge pain.

I agree. I did 3 different $5 quilts at my LQS using the Marti Mitchell templates and each one required 2 different sets. I loved the quilts I got from them, but I hated the templates. And I now have 5 sets (A through E) that I'll probably never use again. They were a pain to use and were expensive, too.

I could see getting the template for dresden plates or drunkard's path, but I won't do another Marti Mitchell.

Kitsie 07-08-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I did block of the month kind of thing with templates. Well, I started it anyway. It used the Marty whateverherlastname is template sets that one of my girlfriends had. I would borrow them and try some blocks before investing in them. I thought they were a huge pain.

I've done a couple of hers (Marti Michell) too and find the templates a pain! I cut my own out of the flat sheet template plastic and I don't clip the corners anymore. I used to, but found they did not all clip evenly. I love her patterns tho.

Kitsie 07-08-2010 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by DebbyT

Originally Posted by Gal
I make my own from template plastic, you can see through it to get the exact measurements, I borrow my patterns from the library and trace the block pieces from the pattern sheets in the back of the magazines, photo copy the instructions and put everything together in a clear file folder to use again and again. I am a beginner quilter and not into very difficult patterns but honestly it is SO easy!!!

Gal

Thanks for your ideas. How thick is the plastic you use and how do you cut it. I am a do-it-yourself type of person and would like to try to make some myself.

Any various plastics. You can buy it by the roll (what a pain - never lies flat) or I can get flat sheets for $1.29. Old X-ray film is popular for the make-it-your-selfers.

donnajean 07-08-2010 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have made my own templates when the same pattern is repeated in multiple blocks - like the quilt pictured in my Avatar and the one below.

made templates for this quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]80865[/ATTACH]

dotcomdtcm 07-08-2010 12:15 PM

I'm using a Dresden plate template & it is great and a French curve for drawing quilting lines.

velinda 07-08-2010 12:25 PM

I make my own out of 1/4 inch plexi-glass. For patterns like the wedding ring where you make a lot of the same cuts or drunkards patch they are priceless. I use a rotary cutter and find that the thin plastic they sell for making templates would be cut clean through so I use plexi.

KGoodhand 07-08-2010 12:57 PM

Is it hard to cut the plexi?!?
I have never heard of Marti Mitchell before! I may have to google her and see some of her stuff!!

DebbyT 07-08-2010 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by KGoodhand
Is it hard to cut the plexi?!?
I have never heard of Marti Mitchell before! I may have to google her and see some of her stuff!!

I have cut it with a saw. Keepine the edge flat/straight is a challenge.