Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Template Curiousity

  1. #1
    Super Member KGoodhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,651
    I have never used any templates! They seem a little expensive?!? Are they actually worth investing in?

  2. #2
    Lady Tapioca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Connecticut shoreline
    Posts
    496
    Do you mean plastic templates for making blocks?
    I make my own with template plastic.

  3. #3
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    I'v not used any yet, but did purchase a quarter circle one at the quilt show I went to. Not quite ready to branch out into curves yet!

  4. #4
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have a few templates for blocks with odd angles, or curves. I love the sets I have for melon blocks and drunkards path :D:D:D You can even use rotary cutters on the curves :wink:

  5. #5
    Super Member justwannaquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Union, Missouri
    Posts
    1,576
    I have only bought one, and I really don't know if it is even a template. It is a half circle with many different sizes to cut. I used it for a quilt I was making for my (unborn at the time) son! I got it at hobby lobby with a coupon so it wasn't even that much in the end and it saved me a TON of time and alot of fabric since I could cut nested circles!

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,300
    Yes, they can be expensive, however, they may be a good investment if you plan on making several of the same style quilt. You can always make your own templates and if you're only going to do one of a pattern that may be way to go.

  7. #7
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    I have several for designs for hand quilting
    I like to collect them. LOL

  8. #8
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    I did block of the month kind of thing with templates. Well, I started it anyway. It used the Marty whateverherlastname is template sets that one of my girlfriends had. I would borrow them and try some blocks before investing in them. I thought they were a huge pain.

  9. #9
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    I used to use templates a lot more than I do now. They are really nice for marking quilting designs these days :)
    And yes, you can make your own. They can be pricey.

  10. #10
    Super Member KGoodhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,651
    Yes I was thinking of the ones to make different blocks. I really want to try the wedding ring quilt! Not right away but hopefully in the next while! I have seen a lot around but never thought about making my own from plastic! Great idea! I may have to look into that!
    I actually have never tried the ones to use for your quilting itself either. All these things to try!

  11. #11
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,726
    I make my own also, just can't see paying that price when I can make them myself.

  12. #12
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    I make my own too, I just buy the plastic stuff, or sometimes I use cardboard!

  13. #13
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,406
    Blog Entries
    10
    For the Double wedding ring quilt they make a fusible interfacing that makes it a piece of cake, would get that before the template :thumbup: But that is just me :wink: LOL

  14. #14
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    They can be a blessing or a pain. I have half circle one, and I have used it lots of times...so it was a good investment. I have some my DH and I bought at a quilt show on a whim, and they are in the drawer they went into when we got home, and never have been used. So....consider carefully before buying.

  15. #15
    Super Member BKrenning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by KGoodhand
    Yes I was thinking of the ones to make different blocks. I really want to try the wedding ring quilt! Not right away but hopefully in the next while! I have seen a lot around but never thought about making my own from plastic! Great idea! I may have to look into that!
    I actually have never tried the ones to use for your quilting itself either. All these things to try!
    You might want to check out the book, "Rings that Bind" by Cheryl Phillips. It is an easier method for double wedding ring and includes the arc tool.

  16. #16
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,406
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quiltsmart for the double wedding ring

    http://www.quiltsmart.com/khxc/index...acing_doubleWR

  17. #17
    Gal
    Gal is offline
    Super Member Gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Zealand in the South Pacific
    Posts
    1,117
    I make my own from template plastic, you can see through it to get the exact measurements, I borrow my patterns from the library and trace the block pieces from the pattern sheets in the back of the magazines, photo copy the instructions and put everything together in a clear file folder to use again and again. I am a beginner quilter and not into very difficult patterns but honestly it is SO easy!!!

    Gal

  18. #18
    Senior Member DebbyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Novi Michigan
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Gal
    I make my own from template plastic, you can see through it to get the exact measurements, I borrow my patterns from the library and trace the block pieces from the pattern sheets in the back of the magazines, photo copy the instructions and put everything together in a clear file folder to use again and again. I am a beginner quilter and not into very difficult patterns but honestly it is SO easy!!!

    Gal
    Thanks for your ideas. How thick is the plastic you use and how do you cut it. I am a do-it-yourself type of person and would like to try to make some myself.

  19. #19
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,717
    I have lots of them, especially curved ones. The first quilt I ever made I used the gridded plastic sheets and cut my own templates, but that quilt has no curves, so it was doable. I much prefer acrylic ones for rotary cutting. Except for the Giant Dahlia and the Wedding Ring sets, I bought all of mine at 40 to 50% off over the years.

  20. #20
    Super Member KGoodhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,651
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbyT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gal
    I make my own from template plastic, you can see through it to get the exact measurements, I borrow my patterns from the library and trace the block pieces from the pattern sheets in the back of the magazines, photo copy the instructions and put everything together in a clear file folder to use again and again. I am a beginner quilter and not into very difficult patterns but honestly it is SO easy!!!

    Gal
    Thanks for your ideas. How thick is the plastic you use and how do you cut it. I am a do-it-yourself type of person and would like to try to make some myself.
    I would be interested in knowing how thick of plastic do you use too!!! I guess it would need to be a little bit thick especially if you are going to use a rotary cutter. Is the plastic hard to cut?!?

  21. #21
    Senior Member Bluphrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Porter, TX
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I did block of the month kind of thing with templates. Well, I started it anyway. It used the Marty whateverherlastname is template sets that one of my girlfriends had. I would borrow them and try some blocks before investing in them. I thought they were a huge pain.
    I agree. I did 3 different $5 quilts at my LQS using the Marti Mitchell templates and each one required 2 different sets. I loved the quilts I got from them, but I hated the templates. And I now have 5 sets (A through E) that I'll probably never use again. They were a pain to use and were expensive, too.

    I could see getting the template for dresden plates or drunkard's path, but I won't do another Marti Mitchell.

  22. #22
    Super Member Kitsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ridgefield WA
    Posts
    6,654
    Blog Entries
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I did block of the month kind of thing with templates. Well, I started it anyway. It used the Marty whateverherlastname is template sets that one of my girlfriends had. I would borrow them and try some blocks before investing in them. I thought they were a huge pain.
    I've done a couple of hers (Marti Michell) too and find the templates a pain! I cut my own out of the flat sheet template plastic and I don't clip the corners anymore. I used to, but found they did not all clip evenly. I love her patterns tho.

  23. #23
    Super Member Kitsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ridgefield WA
    Posts
    6,654
    Blog Entries
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbyT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gal
    I make my own from template plastic, you can see through it to get the exact measurements, I borrow my patterns from the library and trace the block pieces from the pattern sheets in the back of the magazines, photo copy the instructions and put everything together in a clear file folder to use again and again. I am a beginner quilter and not into very difficult patterns but honestly it is SO easy!!!

    Gal
    Thanks for your ideas. How thick is the plastic you use and how do you cut it. I am a do-it-yourself type of person and would like to try to make some myself.
    Any various plastics. You can buy it by the roll (what a pain - never lies flat) or I can get flat sheets for $1.29. Old X-ray film is popular for the make-it-your-selfers.

  24. #24
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    I have made my own templates when the same pattern is repeated in multiple blocks - like the quilt pictured in my Avatar and the one below.

    made templates for this quilt
    Name:  Attachment-80860.jpe
Views: 4
Size:  95.5 KB

  25. #25
    Super Member dotcomdtcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City UWS
    Posts
    4,427
    I'm using a Dresden plate template & it is great and a French curve for drawing quilting lines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.