Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tennis Elbow? Quilters Ankle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tennis-elbow-quilters-ankle-t109372.html)

Pattyjo7686 03-22-2011 03:58 PM

Can we all get on disability. Just call it Quilters Syndrome.

ann31039 03-22-2011 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pattyjo7686
Can we all get on disability. Just call it Quilters Syndrome.

ooo. then more time to quilt!

bluesnowdoe 03-22-2011 06:20 PM

For me it's my elbow and heel I did a quilt for my grandson and machine quilted it my left elbow is still sore I have since changed and started using my other foot to sew with.I hope yours gets better.

KarenBarnes 03-22-2011 06:54 PM

I don't know about the ankle thing but my chiropractor really rolls his eyes when I tell him I've been quilting because I like to sit with one leg drawn up. Hard habit to break!

SimpleCook29 03-22-2011 07:02 PM

I will be 30 in may...I hope I am not falling apart already!! But thanks for all the advice. I will see what I can do. I don't have a good place to sew. I am using the kitchen table and teh chairs are not the best. I don't have an office chair since I don't have a desk. I use a laptop on my lap on the couch! But I will try and find something to put under my ankle so its more comfortable.

patdesign 03-22-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
I will be 30 in may...I hope I am not falling apart already!! But thanks for all the advice. I will see what I can do. I don't have a good place to sew. I am using the kitchen table and teh chairs are not the best. I don't have an office chair since I don't have a desk. I use a laptop on my lap on the couch! But I will try and find something to put under my ankle so its more comfortable.

Give this some serious thought. if your machine bed is more than 30 inches off the floor, you are stressing your back, shoulders, and arms, at 30 your may get away with it for a while, but the damage to your back from the machine being too high will cause problems sooner or later, try to get the machine bed DOWN and it might just help the ankle as well. :-D

donnalynett 03-22-2011 07:16 PM

I have to wear an wrist wrap when FMQ or the pain is awful. I get up to press frequently and also move my foot feed around a lot.

Sandee 03-22-2011 08:02 PM

on Leah Day's web site, she shows putting a small book behind the pedal to raise your heel/foot up to a different position. It might help ease the strain on your ankle. I did it for quite awhile & it did seem to make a better foot position. Hope yours is better soon.

Patricia Ann 03-22-2011 08:12 PM

I know just what you are talking about I had carpal tunnel in my ankle it got so bad I couldn't walk on it when I finally went to the foot dr. he told me after he exam my ankle tha I had carpal tunnel in my ankle and he would have to have it operation to repair it I did and I haven't had a trouble since. Also I had never heard of it being in the ankle and the Dr say It is common for people that stand on there feet alot or use their feet like in sewing he said he had a lot of patience that had worked in glove and shirt shop the use their feet to sew.

Chantel41 03-22-2011 09:14 PM

I get terrible hip pain (well, I also have Fibromyalgia, doesnt help either) but have found if I don't align the foot pedal perfectly, it kills my foot AND hip! I have a gazelle excersize machine, take a break from sewing and work on the gazelle about 100 reps, and back to the machine, and a LOT more comfortable!