Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tennis Elbow? Quilters Ankle?

I know there is a such things as tennis elbow and carpel tunnel in wristes and such but is there a such thing as Quilters ankle? I have sewen miles of seams this weekend and my ankle is killing me!

never heard of that one. maybe you need to position the foot a little differently. i guess it would be possible simce it would be a repetitive use thing.

Do you have a stop/start button on your machine? Use that instead and that should solve your problem.

I hear ya! When I am in the midst of a sewing marathon, I move the foot pedal often.

I switch feet, using the right one and then pressing my blocks, then going back to the machine and using the left foot, the pressing. Sew, press, switch, sew, press, switch, sew. Try that! It works well!

How about sewing thumb? My thumb is killing me after handquilting all weekend!

LOL tell me about it... I have tried moving my foot pedel arounmd all over the place! No comfortable position! I have not gotten to the hand sewing stage but that is not to far off and I am dreading it!

try making a small pillow to put under your heel, may help.

I haven't had the ankle problem yet, but my hands hurt when I've cut a bunch of fabric at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Maybe that is my problem. Both my thumbs are killing me. I have been doing a lot of binding and my thumb muscles are killing me. Even hurts to shake hands with someone now. Anyone know anything that will help. It would certainly be appreciated.

I lay a small piece of 2x4 on the floor at the front of my foot pedal and keep my heel on that. The soreness, for me, is in the pulling muscles, not the pushing ones, so raising my heel means less pulling back when I release pressure on the pedal. I never have sore ankles from sewing anymore.

daughter was having foot problems doc told her she had carpal tunnel in it ..........................

Do you sew in your feet? Do you wear shoes when sewing? You may need to have a different pair of shoes on when sewing.
    Try to notice how you're holding your foot when sewing. Try getting a piece of rubber for shelving and put it under the foot pedal. This may help to hold the pedal and help hold your foot in place. Also if you're heel is hurting, maybe think about getting an office mouse pad that has the cushion for your wrist to help your foot. Another option may be using one of the corn or rice filled heating/cooling packs. You can make one. Make a large square pillow and fill it with rice, corn or beans to cushion the heel of your foot. Moving the pedal. This may also indicate that your chair is not set at the correct height. Do you have a tilt base for your machine? That may help. It would help you sit in the chair differently and may help your foot.

Just a few thoughts about your posting. Good luck with your foot issue and keep us posted as to what you find that helps.

Pam M

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
    I know there is a such things as tennis elbow and carpel tunnel in wristes and such but is there a such thing as Quilters ankle? I have sewen miles of seams this weekend and my ankle is killing me!
    My PT tells me that my hip pain and midback pain are quilting related, so I don't know why not, make sure you take breaks at least one an hour, walk around and stretch if possible (that's what I was advised). Also see if you can find stretching exercises that might alleviate some of the strain. Good Luck.

I am sorry your in pain. I have a back problem so back gets me down my side. I wait till I just can't stand it any more then take two excedrin (smile) still want to sew bad huh? :) swelling in ankle is what hurts me... yikes.

Blog Entries
    Actually, the same thing happened to me yesterday, so I know what you're talking about. Not sure what to do about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Maybe that is my problem. Both my thumbs are killing me. I have been doing a lot of binding and my thumb muscles are killing me. Even hurts to shake hands with someone now. Anyone know anything that will help. It would certainly be appreciated.
    Try aspercream. I have similar problems and it seems to help.

Yikes, I feel your pain. I have arthritis in all my joints and have the same problems plus others. Physical therapy, and surgery as a very last resort can help. Other than that, I just have to be very careful not to overdo each day. I take a break and walk around every hour, wiggle my ankles, hands, fingers, etc. I try to stop before my joints start hurting so i can work on my quilts the next day. The not overdoing has taken me years to learn, but it pays off in the long run.

Blog Entries
    What you may be doing without realizing it is putting your ankle against the chair rung... I do this even if I am at the computer and couldn't figure out what was causing my ankle to hurt... Discovered it one day here at the computer and watched myself at the sewing machine same ankle and same position...

As far as the thumb, of course your thumb will hurt if you did a marathon of hand quilting, trying to finish something, beleive me I know... I try not to hand quilt for more then 2.5 to 3 hours a day... Use the sewing machine and do other things in the morning and read at night...
    Hope this helps, have been quilting since 1986...

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
    OH yes! I also get mouse digits and wrist!

Blog Entries
    Try puting your sewing peddle on a slant. that might help.

When I worked at a quilt store I developed 'fabric bolt elbow' ... gee, I could have called that workers comp! But then I loved being around the fabric every day.

The good thing that happened as a result of working there, physically, was that I had dislocated my shoulder about a year prior and could not reach behind my back to tie a bow, even after physical therapy. After about 4 months of working at the quilt shop, I got my mobility back!

Oh absolutely. Not sure that is the name, but any repetative movement can cause troubles. My ankle doesn't bother me when I'm sewing so much as my knee does. And yes I have carpal tunnel, thumbs both ache. And I get back aches and shoulder pain all the time. Do I quit quilting? Heck NO, if I can't quilt I might as well be dead.

Blog Entries
    I've had that problem too, so I just change which foot I'm using and that has solved my problem.

Try a phonebook or other books to raise the level of your heel up. Good luck, hope the pain goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick
    Do you have a stop/start button on your machine? Use that instead and that should solve your problem.
    That's what I do, I never even plug in my foot pedal (don't even remember the name of it) lol. Hope you feel better soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast