Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tennis Elbow? Quilters Ankle?

It's very possible to arthritis form in joints that receive repetive use and not have it in other joints. Everyone's is different. I could also be just a case of over worked muscle sets you don't use on a regular basis. Try aspirin, tylenol and heat and see if that helps. Good Luck

I switch feet often. It really helps alot.

To all my quilting friends:

As a Licensed Massage Therapist, I can tell you that ANY joint can develop "carpal tunnel" type symptoms. And, as we all know, this really hurts. As many of you noted, repetitive moment is the biggest culprit, but joints do swell, and as we age and the sonovial(sp?)fluid in our joints diminishes, so we feel that pain even more ....

So many good suggestions here and many of them are so very true....use good ergonomics when sewing (meaning position your chair, foot pedal, light and sewing machine to be the most comfortable as possible), get up and move often, and switch feet from time to time so all of one leg doesn't get all that "abuse"....

But let me make one more very important suggestion....

GO GET A MASSAGE!!!!

When you find yourself hurting, take just a smidge of that fabric/quilting money and go relax with a massage. Don't be afraid to talk to your therapist about where exactly you are hurting...and request that she spend some time massaging and stretching the joints that are all "quilted out"!! Don't be afraid to express where you hurt and what you want worked on.

Remember..it may take more than one session to correct whatever has gone wrong...so don't just get one, go away hurting and not try again. I have many clients that don't start to see positive results until after the third session.

And, if the unthinkable should happen, and you don't get with a therapist that does a good job...don't give up. Just look for someone else....ask around. My profession has some not so good therapists....and many outstanding ones.

The $60-100 that you will spend for a good, one hour massage will be so very well worth it.

Happy and relaxed quilting, my friends
    k

face it friends, we're falling apart!!! my first day in 2 weeks out on the jobsite after helping in the office. i'm sunburnt and just plain hurt. wasn't a problem 20 years ago! lol

As some of you know, I have been trying to get caught up with my UFO. Last thursday my daughter took me out for a B-day lunch and all of a sudden my rib cage started to hurt. I thought, oh heck, I have probably over done the quilting. Well Friday came and it hurt even more...felt like a knife was in my left side back and the right part of my shoulder. It hurt! Saturday was no better and I started seeing a rash from the middle of my front and around to the middle of the back. I was taking every kind of pill I had from previous surgerys. The rash was burning like a hot iron was on it. Finally Mondat comes and I head for the doctor to find out what was going on. By this time I was in tears even though I claim to be so tough. Doctor immediately diagnosed it as "shingles". Well at least I now knew what it was and couldn't blame it on too much quilting. I was given a prednisone shot, a viral medication and some very strong pain killers. Finally, today I started feeling better. I had heard of shingles but never been around anyone that had it. I think that was 4 days of some of the most extreme pain I have ever had. I actually think I will be able to get back to my quilts tomorrow! I know the quilting can be hard on our backs but we just can't give it up.

Can we all get on disability. Just call it Quilters Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyjo7686
    Can we all get on disability. Just call it Quilters Syndrome.
    ooo. then more time to quilt!

Blog Entries
    For me it's my elbow and heel I did a quilt for my grandson and machine quilted it my left elbow is still sore I have since changed and started using my other foot to sew with.I hope yours gets better.

I don't know about the ankle thing but my chiropractor really rolls his eyes when I tell him I've been quilting because I like to sit with one leg drawn up. Hard habit to break!

I will be 30 in may...I hope I am not falling apart already!! But thanks for all the advice. I will see what I can do. I don't have a good place to sew. I am using the kitchen table and teh chairs are not the best. I don't have an office chair since I don't have a desk. I use a laptop on my lap on the couch! But I will try and find something to put under my ankle so its more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
    I will be 30 in may...I hope I am not falling apart already!! But thanks for all the advice. I will see what I can do. I don't have a good place to sew. I am using the kitchen table and teh chairs are not the best. I don't have an office chair since I don't have a desk. I use a laptop on my lap on the couch! But I will try and find something to put under my ankle so its more comfortable.
    Give this some serious thought. if your machine bed is more than 30 inches off the floor, you are stressing your back, shoulders, and arms, at 30 your may get away with it for a while, but the damage to your back from the machine being too high will cause problems sooner or later, try to get the machine bed DOWN and it might just help the ankle as well. :-D

I have to wear an wrist wrap when FMQ or the pain is awful. I get up to press frequently and also move my foot feed around a lot.

Blog Entries
    on Leah Day's web site, she shows putting a small book behind the pedal to raise your heel/foot up to a different position. It might help ease the strain on your ankle. I did it for quite awhile & it did seem to make a better foot position. Hope yours is better soon.

I know just what you are talking about I had carpal tunnel in my ankle it got so bad I couldn't walk on it when I finally went to the foot dr. he told me after he exam my ankle tha I had carpal tunnel in my ankle and he would have to have it operation to repair it I did and I haven't had a trouble since. Also I had never heard of it being in the ankle and the Dr say It is common for people that stand on there feet alot or use their feet like in sewing he said he had a lot of patience that had worked in glove and shirt shop the use their feet to sew.

I get terrible hip pain (well, I also have Fibromyalgia, doesnt help either) but have found if I don't align the foot pedal perfectly, it kills my foot AND hip! I have a gazelle excersize machine, take a break from sewing and work on the gazelle about 100 reps, and back to the machine, and a LOT more comfortable!

Will when your twice your age you can join oooohhh, oooowww
    club. But if you don't take better care of your posture you will be there sooner than you think. "I Know"

Blog Entries
    I know there is a such things as tennis elbow and carpel tunnel in wristes and such but is there a such thing as Quilters ankle? I have sewen miles of seams this weekend and my ankle is killing me!
    I have this problem and with the hands, I use Bio Freeze. It comes in roll on form and it seems to do the trick. Good luck finding what works for you.

Have you ever heard of Trigger Thumb or Trigger Finger? You might want to research this. Sure hope that's not what you have. It's painful as can be.

You can have carpel tunnel other than in your wrists.

Senior Member Keeps Them In Stitches's Avatar
    Icey Hot works wonders for taking that pain away. Even in your hands from hand embroidery work...or too much keyboarding. It comes in a tube container that you just squeeze the cream out and spread it around with the sponge applicator that is attached. You never have to get it any where you don't want it to be. Love this stuff ! Hope it helps you.

If you have a portable sewing peddle it can be place on the table next to your machine and use your hand to press the peddle. My doctor says I don't have arthritis but I do have Fibromyalgia.If I allow myself to sit out of aline then I hurt because I put to much pressure where it shouldn't be.Make sure your chair is the right height and if your foot-peddle won't stay in place, get a rubber mat so it won't move around.Get up once an hour and stretch and rotate your joints.Anything to releave the kinks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2