Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/terrible-mistake-%5Bupdate%5D-all-fixed-see-post-97-a-t228645.html)

maviskw 08-27-2013 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Suzette316 (Post 6256011)
Reading all these posts I have to say it's a bit disheartening that for some, the pursuit of perfection outweighs the beauty of the quilt as it is. I have total respect for all thoughts and opinions on this, but I can't help but feel that the spirit of quilting has gotten lost by some, replaced by that never ending need to only create something pristine and perfect. I know sometimes I have to remind myself why I do this and what I am really trying to achieve and accomplish with each quilt I create. This thread can be a good wake-up call for some of us that total, absolute perfection shouldn't really be the goal. To do our best? Yes, of course. But to also accept that the occasional mistake can also be viewed as a happy accident, and can be what makes that particular quilt incredibly special and unique without worry of what others will think.

The post at #91 said she had a mistake that no one noticed for a long time. I had one on my bed for two years when I saw that one square was tilted to the left when it should have been tilted to the right. These kinds of mistakes are the ones we can live with. But this quilt had bright red stars all around it that stood out. It was immediately visible when you looked at the whole quilt. I am so happy she changed it.

I always say: stand back and admire your work every once in a while. That's when you find the "Oh, oh."s.

oldtnquiltinglady 08-27-2013 08:18 AM

I am glad you went back and fixed it. I tuned in this morning to see what had been done from yesterday's posts. The quilt was beautiful, but if I saw the boo boo I would have fixed it too. No matter the effort. Now the quilt is not only beautiful, it is absolutely beautiful.

Quilter 65 08-27-2013 08:21 AM

It is so beautiful. I am like you, I think I would have had to fix it, the best I could do for the best they have given. I know someone will certainly appreciate it and your efforts.

klgls 08-27-2013 08:23 AM

You did a great job "fixing" it. It looks awesome!!

ptquilts 08-27-2013 08:34 AM

What a beautiful quilt! I have not read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone has suggested this before. Use a pair of binoculars, look through the WRONG end at the quilt - you see the whole thing at once and any mistakes jump out at you. Do this to the TOP, I meant to say!! before you quilt it.

Or hang it on a line if you can stand way back from it.

I have had tops that I did not notice mistakes until I took a picture of it to put online. Then it jumps right out at you.

Peckish 08-27-2013 08:39 AM

I guess I can understand why some people are "disheartened" by the desire to want to fix a boo-boo. However, there IS another way of looking at it.

1) This quilt was made for someone else; a stranger. What if this person is unfamiliar with quiltmaking and views the quilt as sub-par and a reject? And that makes him, in turn, feel that he is not worthy of a boo-boo-free quilt? I want to make the best product I can for someone who has given so much to our country. I would have fixed the quilt too.

2) I don't think of it as striving for perfection; I think of it as improving my skills. (Although I have to say that I am quite impressed with the OP's skills, she did a beautiful job with the repair!) Just the other day I pulled out a UFO I'd started about 3 years ago. Half of the blocks are pieced; the other half are appliqued. My piecing skills have pretty much stayed the same, but I was delighted to realize that my applique skills have greatly improved! And that can never be a bad thing.

soccertxi 08-27-2013 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by vivnme (Post 6256071)
OK, I fixed it. It took about six hours of pick ( which actually was quite relaxing) and a couple hours to sew it back together. (which was not fun). I'm happy with the way it turned out although my husband said the quilting is larger than the rest of the quilt. The hard part was sewing it back together because I didn't have much room to sew the seams. I can't thank you all enough for all your thoughts, suggestions and kind words. How can anyone live without this quilting board?

Vivian, I think you did a WONDERFUL job! Dont' worry a JOT about the quilting. remember the galloping horse theory? If you cannot see it galloping by on a horse, no one else will either. You have had your nose RIGHT in there. I cannot see any difference in the quilting. All I see is a beautiful Quilt of Valor. You did a great job! :::pat yourself on the back!::::

Peckish 08-27-2013 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi (Post 6258395)
Vivian, I think you did a WONDERFUL job! Dont' worry a JOT about the quilting. remember the galloping horse theory? If you cannot see it galloping by on a horse, no one else will either.

Agree - and remember, when the quilt is washed, it will become even more beautiful. :)

Maggie_Sue 08-27-2013 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 (Post 6258361)
It is so beautiful. I am like you, I think I would have had to fix it, the best I could do for the best they have given. I know someone will certainly appreciate it and your efforts.

Well said!!! I think you did an amazing job on the quilt and the fix!!

HouseDragon 08-27-2013 08:48 AM

I was hesitant to say exactly what you said in #1. Well done!

The booboo jumped right out. It was beautiful before but now it's BEAUTIFUL! The wounded service-person will love it.

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6258394)
I guess I can understand why some people are "disheartened" by the desire to want to fix a boo-boo. However, there IS another way of looking at it.

1) This quilt was made for someone else; a stranger. What if this person is unfamiliar with quiltmaking and views the quilt as sub-par and a reject? And that makes him, in turn, feel that he is not worthy of a boo-boo-free quilt? I want to make the best product I can for someone who has given so much to our country. I would have fixed the quilt too.

2) I don't think of it as striving for perfection; I think of it as improving my skills. (Although I have to say that I am quite impressed with the OP's skills, she did a beautiful job with the repair!) Just the other day I pulled out a UFO I'd started about 3 years ago. Half of the blocks are pieced; the other half are appliqued. My piecing skills have pretty much stayed the same, but I was delighted to realize that my applique skills have greatly improved! And that can never be a bad thing.