Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   test (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/test-t315555.html)

Anniedeb 06-05-2021 06:41 PM

I like several others always pre-wash to remove any chemicals and that fabric "smell", so no testing the waters there. Then I jump in with both feet, and figure out things as I go. I've never done a test block, just full speed ahead!

tallchick 06-06-2021 01:24 AM

Not a pre-washer, I will try a practice block if i’m unsure, I always measure after the first block and adjust if necessary, and make notes in my little book in case I get side tracked, that way I know where to pick up again.

sandy l 06-06-2021 03:14 AM

The only fabric I prewash is muslin, no matter where I've bought it. I don't test for possible color running, trust my color catchers for that. Don't make a test block or check the 1/4" seam allowance. So far, (and knock on wood), I've managed to stay out of trouble.

Joset 06-06-2021 03:27 AM

i do not test for fabric bleeding, i do make a test block from my scraps to see what the block will look like.

aashley333 06-06-2021 04:28 AM

Pre-washer here! I usually design as I go. Crazy, I know. I'll get an idea, and start, not worrying how the end will be. I have learned to make the first one if many are needed. That way the problems are identified and not repeated on everything.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 06-06-2021 06:38 AM

Once at the start and then randomly, or when something seems off. I possibly do a little extra stitch ripping this way but I'm okay with that.

Railroadersbrat 06-06-2021 09:01 AM

Yes to all of the above.

I prewash everything, I don't leave anything to chance when it comes to that. I always test the block by auditioning it with other fabrics first, that way I can get the muscle memory going and if I'm going to have problems with the way the pattern suggests, I can take some quick notes and figure out a better way to do it. Once I know I've got all of that done, then I'll stitch up a block with the fabrics I'm going to use and see I need to make any further changes before I commit to the full quilt. I have a really bad problem with getting frustrated quick if I'm having issues while I'm working the quilt and if I get too frustrated, I will abandon the quilt altogether and about 80% of the time, I never go back to it. Taking the few extra steps before I start saves me a lot of time and a lot of money.

Onebyone 06-06-2021 09:09 AM

I steam and iron my fabric before cutting so the shrinkage will be done and any bleeding will show up on the white ironing mat cover. I wash my quilts after they are made. I don't cut all the block pieces at one time. I cut enough for one block and make it. Several times I have decided not to make the pattern due to the time of making the block.

joe'smom 06-07-2021 07:56 AM

I pre-wash dark fabrics with color catchers rather than test for bleeding. I've never made a test block. I check unit size, which shows if seam allowance needs adjusting. Most of my 'testing' is in the fabric selection process, with lots of mock-ups and photos; I really rely on my camera for design decisions!

Macybaby 06-07-2021 10:02 AM

I prewash fabric as I buy it - most goes into the stash for who knows when.

From there - I wing it. Rarely make a test block or anything like that. But then I rarely follow directions. Even if I have pattern, most of the time I come up with my own cutting and sewing plan.