test

Old 06-05-2021, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Default Testing

How much "testing" do you do before starting a project "for real"?

Do you "just" test your fabric for bleeding?

Do you make a test block before committing to a whole quilt?

Do you do a test to make sure that your cutting and seam allowances will give you a unit that is the expected size?

If you are a tester, do you think that doing these tests/checks are worth the time and effort?
Attached Thumbnails scan-2021-6-5-10.56.06.jpg  

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-05-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

How do I remove the thumbnail? I was originally just posting a "test" to see if I could post a scan.

My scanner somehow "changed" how it does things - I have no idea how or why or when - but it does not "work" like it used to.
At the moment, I do not feel the change(s) are an improvement.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:47 AM

Oh these computers, I always wonder why they have to update something that is working just fine. Anyway, I am not a prewash person, unless it's a dye heavy dark batik or red. My fist few blocks are test blocks. I never cut the entire quilt then sew. I usually make one block at a time until I get a handle on the pattern, then I chain piece usually 5-6 blocks in sets.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

I always pre wash all fabrics. I don't buy pre cuts. Then I just jump in with both feet. I design most of my simple quilts and sometimes change things in mid stream. I can always come up with something I like.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I seldom pre-wash but I make a test block before cutting out the whole project.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:33 PM

I'm with Jingle. Always prewash, no precuts, and full speed ahead on sewing. Lots of unsewing involved, though.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:00 PM

I seldom do tests. Rarely do I pre wash fabric. Occasionally I will test a fabric. I will cut out the fabric for just one block to see how it goes together and make sure I like the colors, the construction and that the size is right.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:20 PM

I pre-rinse and hot dry the fabrics because the sizing really upsets my sinuses. I usually make a test block. I never ever cut out the whole quilt. There are times that I realize that I am no longer in love with the pattern and downsize from a queen to a throw. If the whole thing was cut out, I would feel like I had to finish it no matter how much I hated it.

I find I work best in blocks of production and time. Cut out for 10 blocks and sew them. Then go on to the next 10.

I rarely test for size since my blocks will all have the same seam allowances and therefore be the same(ish??) final size. The only time I become anal about it is if I am making a specific block or top for another person. Then everything goes under the microscope.

My time consuming downfall is choosing a colour palate. I can become paralyzed with indecision.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:47 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

This is a timely topic for me. I was using a flannel backing fabric and so trimmed it with what I thought would be a generous extra for shrinkage. i wanted to use the extra in a rag quilt and so did not want that washed . You guessed it. It shrank too much so I had to wash the saved piece and sew it back on. Lesson learned.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:10 PM

I rarely prewash unless it's flannel or from Walmart. I'll make a test block to make sure I like it before moving forward full steam. And I almost never cut everything all at once. I'm likely to get bored and so going from cutting to piercing then back is enough to keep my brain content.