test

Old 06-07-2021, 01:19 PM

I prewash everything! Never make a test block. Never check my seam allowance. I do scribble my FMQ pattern on a piece of paper to check if I like it and to set muscle memory.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:40 AM

I almost never prewash (unless it is very red) but I usually do make a test block. If I don't like the block, then I don't want to waste my time and effort on making a whole quilt that I am not going to like. I f I don't like it, it goes in the trash ( which, thankfully, really doesn't happen that often.)
My granddaughter wants a Periwinkle Star variation for her quilt. With the test block, I decided that I did not like all those seams from the 2 triangle pieces, so I added another 1/4 inch and made the background 1 piece instead of 2. It still lays flat, and I like the overall look better.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:16 AM

You can't remove the thumbnail after that time you can edit. You have to edit right away or you cannot change a post. Hypothetically speaking, you would go to "go advanced", "manage attachments", then "remove file" At least, that's how it used to work.
bkay
Old 06-22-2021, 06:45 AM

I do a lot of tests. I'm a prewasher anyway, but I'm "making sure" a lot more than trusting to luck. I know many people have never have a bad fabric, but in all my years I had one encounter and never want another. To be honest, my normal prewashing as I did it back then wasn't enough and I didn't catch it. I now use the dye catchers, mostly to see how much dye is running so whether or not to treat it in some fashion. I'm finding there isn't much that original Dawn dish detergent (use hand wash/sink) and/or boiling doesn't fix...

When I am doing construction methods, I'll do test blocks or a test project. Sometimes my donation projects are me warming up on skills, like last year I did a LeMoyne star with all set in seams just for practice -- it had been awhile but I feel confident in my ability again instead of our handy dandy nifty no set in versions.

Some times I do tests on how I want to construct/cut the blocks before committing. I like to do all of one step at one time at one way -- that way if I mess up I only have to figure out one fix.

When I have embellishments, I do a variety of tests. Color fastness (boil), shrinkage, and durability. Last year I used blanket stitch embroidery on applique. Had to test multiple ways but felt good about using it, that it would hold up to whatever I throw at it and I throw a lot...

I'm constantly testing products and other ways of doing things, sometimes for me that is because of my vision issues. For decades all I used for all my quilting, top, bottom, piecing and quilting was Dual Duty. I started doing more with thread about 20 years ago?? Even more when I used a long arm. Last year was a deliberate test for me using So Fine as a bobbin thread in my domestic machine for piecing, not just quilting and I found I liked it and the results -- so much so I bought an auction's worth and now have enough for the rest of my sewing life.

I just mentioned it in another thread, but something I particularly want to try is the pencil by the Pounce Pad people. Love those pounce pads and think it would be a good marking tool for me.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:00 AM

I test, pre-wash, all reds. I often will make a test block when doing scrappy in particular to test the effect of light, dark and medium color placement in the pattern. I just made a test block to make sure the pattern was accurate. It is a good one for chain piecing but want to be able to whiz along making the blocks with the assurance that they will all fit together well. Perfect pattern ready to be executed by an imperfect quilter!
Old 06-24-2021, 07:02 AM

I can be found to make several test blocks if I don't get things perfect the first time around. I guess it also depends on how badly I want to make the block. I am in a swap that I just turned down the block I had planed to do because after 3 test blocks I could not get it perfect. So it was onto another block design. The test blocks will be something for another day.
I only pre-wash occasionally, when required for a swap, or for deep reds, blues, or purples.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:59 AM

GingerK, I taught color classes at the college level. I know the color wheel backwards and forwards and like certain color combinations: analogous colors that blend from one to the next are a favorite and so are complementary colors across from each other (pink and green), but the best combinations are the ones you like. The color wheel is a handy tool, but ultimately it's what you like. Putting swatches on a design board and living with them for a few days is very helpful, too