Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are there any other " idiots " out there like me???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-any-other-%22-idiots-%22-out-there-like-me-t32631.html)

zkosh 01-02-2010 12:05 PM

Me, too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

amma 01-02-2010 12:57 PM

I knew some of the older filament thread could be pokey, and it didn't last long with high dryer heats...but I never thought about it twisting around little fingers. Thanks for everyone bringing this up!!!

Ellen 1 01-02-2010 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fritzy
I've been working on my quilts for kids & have read over the instructions I don't know how many times but dumb dumb here didn't catch something or else just plain forgot. I had all the quilting done on the one I had made from my stash & was just looking at the instructions again for the binding when I saw it. Please do not use invisible/or mono filament thread since it melts!!!! Guess what I did ! I was so @#* upset with myself that now I don't know if they will still take it. Has anyone else made this stupid mistake? I guess I'll have to e-mail them & see if they will accept it or just make another one & donate this one to another charity. Help!!

Hi Fritzy, I belong to a group called Firehouse Quilts and we would love to have your quilt donated to us. We are a small non-profit that makes snuggle (45"x45" ) quilts for kids in crisis and battered womens shelters. Check our our website at firehousequilts.org I don't think I'd worry about the invisible thread melting, because I doubt anyone is going to iron what you've made. That'd be the only thing that I'd think would melt it. Ellen1

mollyoldham 01-02-2010 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1

Originally Posted by Fritzy
I've been working on my quilts for kids & have read over the instructions I don't know how many times but dumb dumb here didn't catch something or else just plain forgot. I had all the quilting done on the one I had made from my stash & was just looking at the instructions again for the binding when I saw it. Please do not use invisible/or mono filament thread since it melts!!!! Guess what I did ! I was so @#* upset with myself that now I don't know if they will still take it. Has anyone else made this stupid mistake? I guess I'll have to e-mail them & see if they will accept it or just make another one & donate this one to another charity. Help!!

Sew Art and YLI doesn't melt. I've tested it by putting a hot iron directly on it which I doubt anyone would ever have a reason to do it. I also doubt if a clothes dryer would ever get that hot.

Hi Fritzy, I belong to a group called Firehouse Quilts and we would love to have your quilt donated to us. We are a small non-profit that makes snuggle (45"x45" ) quilts for kids in crisis and battered womens shelters. Check our our website at firehousequilts.org I don't think I'd worry about the invisible thread melting, because I doubt anyone is going to iron what you've made. That'd be the only thing that I'd think would melt it. Ellen1

Valerie Scherr 01-02-2010 04:40 PM

I am sure a homeless shelter would love the quilt ...invisible thread and all..

Jingle 01-02-2010 05:26 PM

I never thought about any hazards either. I have thought of donating some in the future, if they are going to be washed to death I think I will save my money and time. A store blanket would be a better choice. Don't these places realize the money and time that goes into making quilts? Just the way I feel about this.

judithb 01-02-2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
I never thought about any hazards either. I have thought of donating some in the future, if they are going to be washed to death I think I will save my money and time. A store blanket would be a better choice. Don't these places realize the money and time that goes into making quilts? Just the way I feel about this.

I understand your point. That being said, Downy donates all of the material, including the backing, I think it is donated by the fabric companies. All we are using is our own batting and love and time. Would you rather have a gift like every one else's? Or would you like something made by someone for you? These quilts are made by people who WANT to make them. So, not a problem for you. I feel pretty sure that Downy put a lot of time and thought and planning in to this project. If you want further information there is a web site for information @ quilts for kids. I contacted them a couple times and they are helpful with information. They would probably appreciate a cash donation. Downy also accepts donations for them.
I certainly don't want to sound preachy, just giving a different slant on the issue.

rosie the ripper 01-08-2010 12:16 PM

so glad to hear from another 'boobooer"