Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there anything I need to know when it comes to working with batiks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-anything-i-need-know-when-comes-working-batiks-t194194.html)

jaciqltznok 07-10-2012 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5353661)
Batiks are notorious for bleeding, so wash before cutting AND be sure to set the dyes with Retayne.

Oh ... looks like you've already cut!

I don't have batiks that bleed!..mainly Hoffman and Princess Mirah...

jaciqltznok 07-10-2012 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 5354010)
I think the main thing you need to know is that you'll be hooked from now on and will be putting batiks into every project!!!

(Or, maybe that's just me...)

yes, they are an addiction all their own!

CajunQuilter2 07-10-2012 08:40 PM

No helpful advise here but would love to see a picture of the quilt when finished. I love Batiks

Pepita 07-10-2012 08:52 PM

Batiks have a tighter weave because of the process it goes through. After the dying and the wax resist it is boiled to get the wax out. That tends to shrink the fabric. And that makes the weave tighter. Batiks are wonderful for applique. For applique you use a very fine straw needle, or a very fine (sharps I think)needle to sew the fabric. When sewing on the sewing machine, needles tend to put holes in the fabric, so use a fine sharp machine needle. If you use pellon, or some sort of adhesive to join the fabric, you will have small holes that will stay that way. See if you can live with that, or choose a looser weave. I think you will find there are different weights of batiks. Some are very light and others seem thick. I am sure it is because of the original fabric that they started with.

I think you are going to enjoy using batiks. They give a richness and texture to everything I have used them in.

Pepita 07-10-2012 08:55 PM

Oh, and when you finish your quilt, since you didn't prewash, wash it with Retayne, or I have heard throw in 5 or 6 of those color catcher sheets, in the wash. It will have the loose dye attach to it instead of your quilt. The Retayne should make it so it doesn't bleed again.

ghostrider 07-10-2012 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pepita (Post 5355246)
Oh, and when you finish your quilt, since you didn't prewash, wash it with Retayne, or I have heard throw in 5 or 6 of those color catcher sheets, in the wash. It will have the loose dye attach to it instead of your quilt. The Retayne should make it so it doesn't bleed again.

Retayne should never be used once fabrics have been sewn together or it will set loose dyes wherever they happen to land. It's for use before fabric is used, not after. Synthrapol is the one to use after the quilt has been made. It suspends loose dyes so they flow out with the wash water and don't settle on the quilt, similar to Color Catchers.

natalieg 07-10-2012 09:12 PM

They are very addicting!

Lori S 07-11-2012 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5355209)
I don't have batiks that bleed!..mainly Hoffman and Princess Mirah...

Hoffman 1895 ( the water color "batiks" ) are notorious bleeders as well as other Hoffman batiks. I have had Princess Mirah batiks that have bleed as well. Having sewn on literally easlliy a thousand yards of Hoffman batiks ... I would NEVER trust them not to bleed/or run. I have yet to find a manufacture that their batiks are absolutely not going to run/bleed.

teddysmom 07-11-2012 05:06 AM

If you hand piece and hand quilt, batiks are very difficult to needle--not user friendly!

Digitizingqueen 07-11-2012 05:14 AM

I love them have never had a problem sewing or long arming them -getting ready to make one myself in the next couple of days.....