Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there anything I need to know when it comes to working with batiks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-anything-i-need-know-when-comes-working-batiks-t194194.html)

ShirlinAZ 07-12-2012 05:56 AM

Batiks are just hand-dyed cottons. Batik is only a coloration technique, nothing more. Sometimes they are over heavily dyed, which can cause color to run. I highly recommend using color catchers in at least the first few washes after the quilt is finished. The only other thing I recommend is pre-washing any other fabrics you will use with the batiks as your batiks have been pre-shrunk but the other cotton fabrics are not.

Latrinka 07-12-2012 06:18 AM

I've only bought one fat quarter bundle of batiks, and used some for applique. I do like em doe!

dc989 07-12-2012 07:15 AM

I just had a problem with a batik in a collection of several others when doing a fusible applique wallhanging. One of the greens would not fuse down. I called a friend who is an expert on all things quilting. She said that it was because the wax did not wash out completely on that piece in the manufacture process. She suggested pouring boiling water over a scrap to see if would take out the wax. It did but it was too late for what I was doing. In the future I plan to test fusible web on a little scrap before cutting. Donna

Robinlee 07-12-2012 07:18 AM

I agree with Lori S. use a smaller needle. AND only from experience, wash and wash again before cutting. I "always prewash when I get the fabric home, doesn't matter whether batik's or not".
but I will always wash till the water is clear with batiks from about 2 years ago till for forever. I had a really bad experience with high quality batiks that bleed into the the rest of a KING size quilt. I will NEVER-EVER NOT WASH AT LEAST 3 TIMES WITH BATIKS NOW!!!!!

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5353875)
Other than the Bleeding issue, I use a smaller needle for piecing. Batiks are a tighter weave , and a large needle will make a hole rather than slide between the fibers. I use a 70/10 needle or occasionally a 75/10.

sew_Tracy 07-12-2012 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by pinecone (Post 5355084)
Don't drool on it. ;~) I love the texture/depth batiks give to quilts. They can bleed a bit so I hope you prewashed or rinsed. Enjoy!

piney

LOL...thanks for that.

TWH4Gail 07-12-2012 07:32 AM

My second ever quilt was all in batiks, this past winter. Other than the tighter weave of the fabric, I had no real issues, and didn't prewash it, either. No bleeding problems encountered. And yes, I now LOVE batiks!! They add such vibrance to any quilt, and now I hate to quilt without them. Just finished an all flannel quilt, and anxious to get back to batiks! =D

SandiSue 07-12-2012 08:51 AM

agree totally. I use batiks a lot.

Quiltlady330 07-12-2012 09:17 AM

I love working with batiks. Some feel smooth as silk. Some have a little more body. I haven't had the need for any special handling....but I pre-wash everything in all fabrics anyway.

Sewhappygal 07-12-2012 12:22 PM

I LOVE batiks but I've had a real problem with bleeding.

RV Quilter 07-12-2012 04:41 PM

I love batiks. I do not prewash. I have never had a problem with bleeding. I throw a color saver strip in when I wash it and no problems. I use Bali Pops a lot and have not had them bleed on me. The most compliments I get are on the batik quilts I make. They are addictive and are my preference for quilting. My long armer has no problem with them even when the back is batik also. Different strokes for different folks. It's your quilt, do it how you want to do it!!