Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a "Best" Seam Ripper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-best-seam-ripper-t218661.html)

Steady Stiching 04-11-2013 09:21 AM

I have several ddifferent styles...but lately my go to is my 2.00 exacto knife I bought for something else...nice and sharp.

IBQUILTIN 04-11-2013 09:55 AM

I try to stick to clover for rippers and stylus. Good luck and let us know if you find one that is great

CAS49OR 04-11-2013 10:26 AM

My favorite is Clover brown handle, and I checked ratings online before I bought it and see many agree, it gets a lot of 5 star ratings for such an inexpensive seam ripper!

I'm curious if the ergonomic white handle Clover has the same sharp business end -- I would think so!

CAS49OR 04-11-2013 10:28 AM

Good to know, I was just wondering about that! :thumbup:

Originally Posted by mckwilter (Post 5993602)
"I like the Clover. It's nothing fancy...just a brown plastic handle"

The Clover with the white handle has the same "business end" as the brown handle. The only difference is that the white is round and the brown is flat. I prefer the feel of the round handle, but it sure makes it easy for the ripper to get away from me.

Fortyniner 04-11-2013 11:36 AM

Battery Operated Seam Ripper

Luvs to quilt,
I purchased a battery operated seam ripper too, but I cut my fabric a couple of times and am a little afraid to use it. I only use it on long seams. Do you have a technique that prevents small tears? Thanks.

quiltmom04 04-11-2013 12:37 PM

I use a blue plastic handle ripper with the curved blade that I got for about $2 at a quilt show. It doesn't even have a name on the handle, so I can't even tell you who makes it. But I like it so much better than the traditional ripper that I got the Gingher one that is like it. But the Gingher one didn't have a good sharp point that gets under the stitches, so I took it back. I had a 50% off coupon, and even so, the Gingher, to me, is definitely not worth the money! ( I DO love their scissors, though!)

maxo 04-11-2013 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by RavenLunaStitch (Post 5988814)
I know there are lots of bells and whistles like ergonomic handles, lights, etc., but I'm asking about the business end of a seam ripper. Sharp enough to work well without destroying fabric in the process and one that will last a while. I didn't care much about this until I started taking apart clothing items Bonnie Hunter style for some scrappy quilts. We talk a lot about other favorite tools but I want to know if any of you have found a real winner that you will keep and use for a long time?

I have several Clover ones. But then a friend was teaching us to applique and she gave us a tiny one from Tooltron. They run about a dollar and are like a razor. Have to be very careful with this one as you can cut right through your fabric...but it is just the bomb! I have also bought ones similar to this in the LQS and places like Joanns.But nothing compares to the Tooltron ones! Jus Google Tooltron and you will find it.

Z 04-11-2013 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine (Post 5990440)
I never use my seam ripper. Instead I use my little sharp embroidery scissors from Janome.

I also use embroidery scissors. Rainbow Easy Kutt Spring Action Scissors are fantastic. You can see a picture of them on Nancy's Notions sewing essentials sale.

SpotMurphy 04-11-2013 03:24 PM

I like the new one with the rubber thing at the end. It seems to help gather up the thread bits. The blade is small and sharp like the Clover one I also like.

KyKaren1949 04-11-2013 03:38 PM

I have recently discovered the Seam Fix seam ripper which has two very useful ends. The one is a great seam ripper, and the cap end is a soft rubber top which works great to remove thread whiskers from ripped seams. I tried to paste a picture, but I always have trouble getting picture to upload on this page. When I try, the entire page goes white.