Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a "Best" Seam Ripper?

Question Is there a "Best" Seam Ripper?

I know there are lots of bells and whistles like ergonomic handles, lights, etc., but I'm asking about the business end of a seam ripper. Sharp enough to work well without destroying fabric in the process and one that will last a while. I didn't care much about this until I started taking apart clothing items Bonnie Hunter style for some scrappy quilts. We talk a lot about other favorite tools but I want to know if any of you have found a real winner that you will keep and use for a long time?

I recently bought a spare Clover one, and there's a huge difference in it v. the older one I have. The Clover has a thinner end, which gets under the shorter stitch lengths WAY better than my old one, which was thicker.

I like the Clover. It's nothing fancy...just a brown plastic handle...if I were to suggest an improvement to the designers, it would be to put a rubbery handle grip on it...like they have on some pens & pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenLunaStitch View Post
    I know there are lots of bells and whistles like ergonomic handles, lights, etc., but I'm asking about the business end of a seam ripper. Sharp enough to work well without destroying fabric in the process and one that will last a while. I didn't care much about this until I started taking apart clothing items Bonnie Hunter style for some scrappy quilts. We talk a lot about other favorite tools but I want to know if any of you have found a real winner that you will keep and use for a long time?
    My favorite and best that I have are the ones that come with brother machines I think you can buy them from brother they are the sharpest I have ever used and very small so can get under the tiniest stitches
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Blog Entries
    I have a battery operated one I got at the LQS....love, love,love it!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I'm still using the aqua handled one mother bought me for home-ec classes...1965-69
    It is thicker compared to today's model, which I have two of. Treat yourself, good tools are important.

I like the Clover ones, too. To me, that's one of the most important tools (unfortunately, lol) in our arsenal, so, I don't scrimp when it comes to seam rippers.
    aka Gale

There is one (I can't remember the name) that has a surgical like blade that is curved.

Has anyone used the Gingher one? I saw it at Joanns and wondered if it was worth the $. Obviously, the "best" seam ripper is the one you never have to use! lol Thanks all for your opinions!

Blog Entries
    My favorite is small, blue and round. I think it's this Dritz one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-3-1-Inch...dp/B000Y3ESWE/

The ripper portion is fine enough to get under very small stitches, and it feels good in my hand.

There is a new one on the market that has a rubberized end for getting rid of the cut stitches. Have seen very positive reviews about it. Don't have a link, but maybe someone else will post one.

I have a battery operated one love it I also have a hand one I love it has tweezers at one end and slide it for the seam ripper it has a small point . it is combicut seam ripper I ordered 5 of them just to have ( I got my original one at Hancock but the don't sell it any more . Just goggle " combicut seam ripper" to see it

Does anyone have the one with the light and magnifying glass? I have a clover which does the trick, but I'm going to have to stop using it so much or get me some glasses.

Blog Entries
    Any sharp seam ripper is a good one. A seam ripper doesn't last for years. They get dull. If you have to tug on a thread to break it, the ripper is ready to be tossed. I use Clover because it's available at most shops and seem to stay sharp longer then the others. I use about three a year.
    Got fabric?

I love the little Dritz one that Walmart sells. I have only bought a couple. I use it lots more than I want. Goes under the small stitches.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenLunaStitch View Post
    Has anyone used the Gingher one? I saw it at Joanns and wondered if it was worth the $. Obviously, the "best" seam ripper is the one you never have to use! lol Thanks all for your opinions!
    I gave my Mom the Ginger seam ripper for Christmas. It really has a wonderfully comfortable handle, and compared to the seam rippers I have had .. it was a noticible step up. I got it when Jo'Anns had gingers on sale plus a coupon for extra off total sale. I doubt I would have ever paid full price. I do like using a craft knife sometimes .. soooo sharp! and replacement of a blade is easy. But do note it is a really sharp blade, much care is needed not to cut something other than stitching.

So are you actually picking apart the seams when disassembling clothing 'Bonnie Hunter Style' or just using the seam ripper to remove buttons, task stiches. I only ask because Bonnie acutally uses scissors and just cuts off the seams.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...irt-movie.html

I have the light and magnifying glass one but can't recommend it, the blade part is awful. If only I could attach a clover ripper to the handle it would be great!
    Chiara Kate

Quote Originally Posted by berryberry View Post
    Does anyone have the one with the light and magnifying glass? I have a clover which does the trick, but I'm going to have to stop using it so much or get me some glasses.
    I fell for this gadget. hate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I fell for this gadget. hate it!!
    Me too! Didn't like it at all!! It felt very awkward to use.
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
    So are you actually picking apart the seams when disassembling clothing 'Bonnie Hunter Style' or just using the seam ripper to remove buttons, task stiches. I only ask because Bonnie acutally uses scissors and just cuts off the seams.
    I only use it for taking off buttons and sometimes (if it's worth it) for hems, cuffs, collar, or anything that is small without interfacing -- it's amazing how many decent size pieces you can get out of those areas. The flat-felled seams I usually just rip or cut with my forged steel dressmaking shears (which I just keep on sharpening and will probably last forever!).

Yes, this one..... http://www.joann.com/clover-5-seam-ripper/prd56727/ .......LOVE it!

I use Clover.

Blog Entries
    I've used almost all of them but I keep going back to the single edge razor blade like my "home ec" teacher taught me.
    Bernie

[QUOTE=RavenLunaStitch;5988814]I know there are lots of bells and whistles like ergonomic handles, lights, etc., but I'm asking about the business end of a seam ripper. Sharp enough to work well without destroying fabric in the process and one that will last a while. I didn't care much about this until I started taking apart clothing items Bonnie Hunter style for some scrappy quilts. We talk a lot about other favorite tools but I want to know if any of you have found a real winner that you will keep and use for a long time?[/QUOTE
    Mine best one came with my machine, left behind by a previous owner, so I don't know what it is called. It looks like a miniature medical instrument. It is thin stainless steel with a curved very sharp edge on the curve. I guess I have had two of them for 20 years and they are still sharp. The best thing about them is that you can slip them into a seam and cut threads without cutting or snagging you fabric. My guess is that they are designed for professional seamstresses, alterations and such since I have never seen them in a fabric store. Someone who does this for a living might be able to help. Eleanor Burns uses her rotary cutter but I would not attempt that.

Thanks to all who tried to help me with FMQ--I haven't come close to mastering the tension thing but at least can make an ugly stitch that does not pucker.

Blog Entries
    When I use clothing for material, usually cotton and flannel shirts, I don't un-sew them. My rotary cutter cuts very close to the seams with little waste. I wouldn't use the cloth that was in the seam area anyway so I make quick work cutting any shirt or skirt.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

mkc
    I like the one DH turned for me on his lathe - it has turquoise inlay and 2 different size "rippers". They tuck into the ends of the turned tube

Name:  seamripper2.JPG
Views: 855
Size:  1.34 MBName:  seamripper1.JPG
Views: 866
Size:  1.23 MB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast