Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there a good seam ripper?

I had to frog sew two lines of quilting off the last quilt I did. Unsewing is bad enough, but using a dull rough ripper made the job ten times worse than it should have been.

IF I go out on Friday or Saturday I have to buy a seam ripper (or maybe 6). We have never bought anything but the cheapies, but if there is a good one out there I'm ready to give it a try. Is there such an animal? Please provide your recommendation.

Thanks,

Darren

bj
    There was a topic awhile back about people using those little eyebrow razors. I've not tried it, but it sounded interesting. I lose mine so often they don't seem to have time to get dull. I usually buy 2 at a time. I suspect they all get dull, just the nature of a blade.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    That's the problem with all blades they all get dull.

i don't use a seam ripper anymore...I much prefer a very sharp pair of thread snips w/ thin blades. I started using them when i worked in a factory making firefigher uniforms...Snip every few threads and pull apart - easy peasy..

The ones we used at the factory was from Wiss - I saw there is a pair from Fiskars at JoAnn's - the key is to look for a thin blade w/ sharp points to snip the thread.

I was looking for a picture:
    http://www.drillspot.com/products/39...ead_Shears?s=1

If you google 'Wiss Thread Snips'. you'll find several places that sell them and probably cheaper - but they're worth the price

ETA: Gingher has a pair that looks similar DO NOT get those - the blade is too thick to snip the threads - great to cut thread off the spool, but not to snip threads to rip out

np3
    Blog Entries
    I use the snips too, but I also use my seam ripper. I don't like the snips on the bias edges.

that is true - pulling a piece apart that is cut on the bias would definitely stretch it out....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use a seam ripper, the snips at times, but if it's the whole seam to separate I use an old disposable scaple! (medical one I've had nearly 30 years!) It is finally getting dull. Wish I had more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    I use a seam ripper, the snips at times, but if it's the whole seam to separate I use an old disposable scaple! (medical one I've had nearly 30 years!) It is finally getting dull. Wish I had more.
    You can pick up a scalpe at Tractor Supply in the cattle/sheep medication dept. Same place they have needles/syringes.

I have the thread snips and like them a lot. They remain sharp for a very long time.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I just keep a bunch of cheapies and throw them out as they dull.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Would an Exacto knife work?

Banned
    I use a spent rotary blade just like one would use a razor blade or exacto blade I just srtetch the top fabric with one hand and pop the threads with the rotary blade. always cutting towards the batting to prevent any OOpsie I boobooed.

I purchased a battery operated gizmo at a quilt show. They had then all packaged up. When we got them home they were Wahl mustash trimmers. They have them a WM. They work really well. Just snip the seam and run it along the seam and presto, stitches removed. I have never clipped the fabric either.

I found some nice seamer rippers at Joannes made by dritz it resembles a surgical blade and they wer $5.49 buy one get one free I bought a similiar one years ago for $12.00 at a quilt shop That had changeable blades but that shop has since closed the new ones do not have replaceable blades but on sale its not to bad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I would say A NEW ONE is the best one...seriously.

At a class I took the instructor said if you couldn't remember WHEN you purchased the one you had it was time to buy a new one.

For $5.00 - it's worth it every 6 months or a year - unless you do lots on UNsewing and dull the cutter! :)

Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    I found some nice seamer rippers at Joannes made by dritz it resembles a surgical blade and they wer $5.49 buy one get one free I bought a similiar one years ago for $12.00 at a quilt shop That had changeable blades but that shop has since closed the new ones do not have replaceable blades but on sale its not to bad
    This is the one that I use. It's great!

Blog Entries
    In a word - Clover.
    The point is a lot finer than the cheapies. It makes it much easier to pick out the stitch.
    Just cut every 4 or 5 stitches and then pull apart.
    Works every time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    In a word - Clover.
    The point is a lot finer than the cheapies. It makes it much easier to pick out the stitch.
    Works every time.
    After you cut the stitches, pull the thread off the other side. It will be a whole piece. You only need to pick the snips off. No stretching or pulling.

Blog Entries
    You know what they say..."As you sew, so shall you rip"
    Unfortunately, so true!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    I had to frog sew two lines of quilting off the last quilt I did. Unsewing is bad enough, but using a dull rough ripper made the job ten times worse than it should have been.

IF I go out on Friday or Saturday I have to buy a seam ripper (or maybe 6). We have never bought anything but the cheapies, but if there is a good one out there I'm ready to give it a try. Is there such an animal? Please provide your recommendation.

Thanks,

Darren
    Clover makes two really good one...one folds in 1/2 and has a fine tip(that is my favorite one), then they have the one with the chunky white handle(much easier to find when I can't find the favorite one).

I agree, my dog chewed up mine this year, and I bought a Clover. I promptly thanked my dog, as wow it was a treat having this new seam ripper!

There is another Clover brand seam ripper with a brown/tan handle. It might not be made anymore. I wanted to buy it for an extra and could not find one.
    The Fons & Porter ripper has a comfortable, ergonomic handle. However, [maybe it is just me] it does roll off the table. It is also handy for a stiletto.

I purchased a Clauss titanium seam ripper and just love it and the handle is larger. What is so nice about it is the seam ripper has a ten year warranty and they will replace it if it gets dull. They also have all type of scissors and rottery blades etc that has the warranty. I have been very happy with this line of products so far. I got rid of all of my cheapies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bjnicholson
    In a word - Clover.
    Works every time.
    After you cut the stitches, pull the thread off the other side. It will be a whole piece. You only need to pick the snips off. No stretching or pulling.
    Then a piece of tape or lint roller takes care of the little bits.

In a word - Clover.
    Works every time.
    Yup! Love my clover seam ripper...easy to hold in the hand, and very fine point for faster and easier ripping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast