Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a good seam ripper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-good-seam-ripper-t78702.html)

quiltsRfun 11-25-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I use a seam ripper, the snips at times, but if it's the whole seam to separate I use an old disposable scaple! (medical one I've had nearly 30 years!) It is finally getting dull. Wish I had more.

Would an Exacto knife work?

stewyscrewy 11-25-2010 06:30 PM

I use a spent rotary blade just like one would use a razor blade or exacto blade I just srtetch the top fabric with one hand and pop the threads with the rotary blade. always cutting towards the batting to prevent any OOpsie I boobooed.

featherweight 11-25-2010 06:48 PM

I purchased a battery operated gizmo at a quilt show. They had then all packaged up. When we got them home they were Wahl mustash trimmers. They have them a WM. They work really well. Just snip the seam and run it along the seam and presto, stitches removed. I have never clipped the fabric either.

jayelee 11-25-2010 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found some nice seamer rippers at Joannes made by dritz it resembles a surgical blade and they wer $5.49 buy one get one free I bought a similiar one years ago for $12.00 at a quilt shop That had changeable blades but that shop has since closed the new ones do not have replaceable blades but on sale its not to bad

quiltinghere 11-25-2010 08:36 PM

I would say A NEW ONE is the best one...seriously.

At a class I took the instructor said if you couldn't remember WHEN you purchased the one you had it was time to buy a new one.

For $5.00 - it's worth it every 6 months or a year - unless you do lots on UNsewing and dull the cutter! :)

dublb 11-25-2010 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by jayelee
I found some nice seamer rippers at Joannes made by dritz it resembles a surgical blade and they wer $5.49 buy one get one free I bought a similiar one years ago for $12.00 at a quilt shop That had changeable blades but that shop has since closed the new ones do not have replaceable blades but on sale its not to bad

This is the one that I use. It's great!

tjradj 11-25-2010 08:59 PM

In a word - Clover.
The point is a lot finer than the cheapies. It makes it much easier to pick out the stitch.
Just cut every 4 or 5 stitches and then pull apart.
Works every time.

bjnicholson 11-25-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
In a word - Clover.
The point is a lot finer than the cheapies. It makes it much easier to pick out the stitch.
Just cut every 4 or 5 stitches and then pull apart.
Works every time.

After you cut the stitches, pull the thread off the other side. It will be a whole piece. You only need to pick the snips off. No stretching or pulling.

Val in IN 11-25-2010 09:56 PM

You know what they say..."As you sew, so shall you rip"
Unfortunately, so true!

quilterella 11-26-2010 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
I had to frog sew two lines of quilting off the last quilt I did. Unsewing is bad enough, but using a dull rough ripper made the job ten times worse than it should have been.

IF I go out on Friday or Saturday I have to buy a seam ripper (or maybe 6). We have never bought anything but the cheapies, but if there is a good one out there I'm ready to give it a try. Is there such an animal? Please provide your recommendation.

Thanks,

Darren

Clover makes two really good one...one folds in 1/2 and has a fine tip(that is my favorite one), then they have the one with the chunky white handle(much easier to find when I can't find the favorite one).